Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Hanging cement board over pipes

Hi everyone! Samantha here- I appreciate your help.
I have a deceptively simple question that I haven't been able to get answered in any books I've found:

Do I need to remove these pipes before I hang cement board here?
If so, won't water come out? Do I need to shut off the whole house supply before I remove anything?
They are really corroded- what do I use to unstick them?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions! I am going to keep checking this site and if I find the answer I will take this down.

diysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Lord of Slums

Looks like a sink and toilet, rough in. I willl take it all out for free if I can keep the pipes. You may have a shut off that controls the water going to those pipes. Go under where those pipes are and cut them with a tubing cutter and put shark bite end caps on them. You will need to shut the whole house down if you are not sure. Turn those little handles and see if water comes out before cutting anything.

mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #3

Just to clarify- I'm going to need to replace all the pipes before re-installing the sink and toilet? Thanks for your reply! That actually makes it seem simpler somehow.
diysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #4

Are you planning on tiling in the vanity toilet area that you are hanging cement board there?

I will leave it to the experts to answer: should you just be using the cement board in the shower area only and regular/greenboard drywall around the rest of the bathroom, even if you are tiling the rest of the bathroom?

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #5

with the wall open it would have been a good time to move all the piping into the wall.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

You have some studs to fix first. As for the piping, if it is Copper water piping, and the rough in is incorrect, you will need to also fix that, along with the drain lines.

Really need to post more pictures of the space, showing the whole big picture of what you are dealing with.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Lord of Slums

We can help you with your wiring as well.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #8

Quite the mess there.
Missing bottom plate.
Cut off studs.
Studer vent looks like someone but it inside the wall. A big no no.
Any time your working on plumbing like that you should always install new shut off valves and drain fittings.
WHy would use cement board in that area as your post title suggest?

Last edited by joecaption; 03-15-2013 at 07:13 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
Roofmaster

You need to re-frame that wall. You need stub outs to stick straight out from the wall, so you can drill holes with a hole saw and slide the board over.

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #10

If your installing a new vanity I'd take a look at the back of it before relocating the plumbing.
Half the time there's something in the way like a drawer so the time to move a pipe is before it's cover up.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If your installing a new vanity I'd take a look at the back of it before relocating the plumbing.
Half the time there's something in the way like a drawer so the time to move a pipe is before it's cover up.
As they say, trial fit, cuss, trial fit, cuss some more, trial fit, go get a beer or glass of wine if a female, cuss some more. After all of that, you then realized that it was correct the second time. I was lucky that I had a little play with the pipes coming out of the floor, which I should have plumbed up into the wall when I had it opened, but just was brain burned, due to having to work during the day, and come home to a bath remodel that was actually taking longer than I wanted, due to waiting on wife to figure out pain colors, and tile color, along with 2 weeks late on the vanity.

I still wish that I put in that extra wall outlet on the wall in front of the toilet, but then figure it would have been wasted anyways, due to never get used. But I am glad I put in a outlet to the left of the vanity, besides the one on the wall where the switches are, because that one has a room freshener always plugged into it, and the other has a nite-light & rechargeable razor plugged in.

Just like a Kitchen, you can never have enough outlets in it, where & when you need them.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion, pipe, remove, wall, water supply