Handle Spins On Anti-siphon Spigot, Can't Turn Water Off? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2010, 01:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Handle spins on anti-siphon spigot, can't turn water off?

I have what looks like a Moen anti-siphon/ freeze spigot with a Y/shut-off attached for 2 hose reels. I cant turn the water supply off on the main handle because it just spins and it feels like it's spring loaded. What's wrong with it and how do I replace it?

Advertisement

gardengirl51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
Plumb or Die!

Rewards Points: 250

Just replaced one of these pieces of junk the other week. If you can get to the pipe where it enters the house you're in good shape, and any plumber can help you out, unless you have the skills and tools to DIY. You may have to cut and patch drywall to get to it. In all, not an easy job for the average home owner.

Advertisement

plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Plumb or Die!

PS I haven't seen a new one of these in a while, but you may be able to spin the chrome nut off thats behind the handle and pull the guts out of it. The actual seat of the valve is inside the house. There's a rubber washer in there that always gets wrecked because people crank the handle too tight. You can then haul the inside part of the hose bibb to a hardware store and they'll fix you up with a new washer. Don't forget to shut off the water to the bibb (or the whole house) before you attempt to put a wrench to it.
This is why it's a good idea to call a plumber. It's not super hard, but not a super easy job, either. We plumbers get a good feel for this kind of stuff. If the repair is going to go sideways, we'll know. You might not notice if somethings going awry, and flood your house.
Good luck.
PSS, when I write a book about plumbing there'll be a whole chapter on frost-free hose bibbs. They're always a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for your advice! We live in a doublewide manufactured home and it's easy access to the pipes. Gonna give it a try myself (former Home depot Employee of 10 yrs, landscaping and plumbing)
gardengirl51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #5
Plumb or Die!

Atta girl!!