Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Handicapped shower stall

I am in the process of installing a handicapped shower for my wife who has MS. I have done many construction projects over the years,however the language of plumbing makes me crazy(seems everyone has a different term for every part.The demo and the tile work i am ok with its what i need to order that is my downfall. what i need is a standard manifold that can supply two shower heads ,run seperatly so she may sit on a bench and shower and anyone else can shower standing . i have removed two closets to add another 3 feet to the depth of the stall .It will now be 72" wide by 48 "deep. Anyone can help with a good web site for all parts but the tubing or a helpful plumbing supply in the Phila Pa area or someone who has been there done that
Thanks, reelwood

reelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #2

Handicapped shower stall

Basically, all you need is larger supply lines (3/4 or 1") to feed the two showerheads. You would then tee off with 1/2" supply lines, hot and cold, to the shower valves. This would also be a situation where you would want anti-scald shower valves. Depending on how long your showers would last, you need to make sure your water heater is large enough to handle all the water usage.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #3

Handicapped shower stall

I would go over to your local plumbing supply house and speak with someone there that could help you pick out the right products. Pretty much every major manufacturer of showers makes temperature control and volume control valves now. Every company has slightly different installation instructions, but they all follow the same basic principle. Typically you would run either a standard 1/2", many cases a 3/4", line to your temperature control - definitely use an anti-scald as the previous poster mentioned. From there you would come out to two seperate volume controls - one for the portable shower head, one for the main shower head. If you were going to install more than one head coming off of one volume control, then typically you would install a "loop" to balance the pressure, but it sounds like you are only installing the two heads. The reason I said go to a local supply house is because they will be familiar with a couple of particular brands and they could probably walk you right through what parts to get and what that manufacturer requires for the installation..

good luck!
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:01 PM   #4

Handicapped shower stall

Those are good tips for installing a handicapped accessible option. You could get perhaps another idea from these mobile restrooms and showers designed for disaster relief ... Handicap Shower Rental
tshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER

Exclamation

Handicapped shower stall

WHATEVER YOU DO BESIDES PLUMBING,

YOU NEED GOOD STURDY 2" X 6" BACKER BOARDS WHEN EVER YOU ARE GOING TO BE INSTALLING GRAB RAILS TO SUPPORT THE WEIGHT OF PEOPLE
MACPLUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #6

Handicapped shower stall

I don't have the specific answer to your question but being disabled myself and having retrofitted a bathroom for my use I have written several blogs (some published here on the Blog section of this site) about things needed for a handicap access bathroom. I may have hit on some things you havent thought of plus my sponsor has the greatest customer service staff that I know would help you. Look at my blogs here and check my profile for further info.

faucetman886 is offline   Reply With Quote