Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #1

Share |

a hammering check valve

I Have A Sump Pump Under My Craw Space And When It Rains Or The Snow Melts, It Goes Off All The Time And It Is Next To Our Bedroom, Very Noise Hammering Sound. I Have Read Alot About The Silenc, But Have Not Been Able To Find The Phone Number To Order One. Can Anyone Help Me. I Just Installed A New Zoller Check Valve, And It Don't Make A Difference. The Flapper Is On
A 45 Degree Angle So I Though It Might Help. No Luck. Please Help As Spring Will Be Here Before I Know It.
Thanks,
Ron Leininger
Jackson Center Ohio
rleininger@woh.rr.com

paparon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #2

a hammering check valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by paparon View Post
I Have A Sump Pump Under My Craw Space And When It Rains Or The Snow Melts, It Goes Off All The Time And It Is Next To Our Bedroom, Very Noise Hammering Sound. I Have Read Alot About The Silenc, But Have Not Been Able To Find The Phone Number To Order One. Can Anyone Help Me. I Just Installed A New Zoller Check Valve, And It Don't Make A Difference. The Flapper Is On
A 45 Degree Angle So I Though It Might Help. No Luck. Please Help As Spring Will Be Here Before I Know It.
Thanks,
Ron Leininger
Jackson Center Ohio
rleininger@woh.rr.com
There's probably a hammering sound because the installer forgot, or intentionally, did not drill a hole near the bottom of the pvc pipe (south of the check valve) to prevent an air lock and thus the hammer sound.

Also, make sure the check valve is installed in the correct direction with water flowing up.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Union HVAC Tech.

a hammering check valve

Quote:
Thanks,
Ron Leininger
Jackson Center Ohio
rleininger@woh.rr.com

What is the difference in height between the top of the check valve and the discharge outlet opening?
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #4

a hammering check valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeB View Post
What is the difference in height between the top of the check valve and the discharge outlet opening?
If I understand your question, from the top of the check valve to the
top of the horzintal pipe that discharge to through the foundation is
probable 15 inches.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #5

a hammering check valve

Are You Saving Ther Should Be A Small Hole Drilled In The Pvc Pipe Above The Check Valve. If So Where And What Size. I Would Think Any Size Hold Would Shoot Water Out Of The Hole.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #6

a hammering check valve

Quote:
Are You Saving Ther Should Be A Small Hole Drilled In The Pvc Pipe Above The Check Valve. If So Where And What Size. I Would Think Any Size Hold Would Shoot Water Out Of The Hole.
No, there should be a small hole drilled maybe 3 inches above the base of the sump pump on the pvc pipe. That prevents the air lock and the hammer effect. I would check that.

This hole will let the water below the check valve relieve back into the sump pit.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #7

a hammering check valve

I have seen spring loaded check valves that don't seem to hammer as much as the "free swinnging" flappers. I usually install check valves for sumps on the horizontal run. You may also want to adjust the on/off level switch to prevent constant on/off running of the pump. You may also want to try a PVC ball check valve. Much quieter than metal ones.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #8

a hammering check valve

my pump makes a kind of "gurgling / sucking" noise immediately after the pump stops - the noise only last for few seconds. Could this be the air lock described here? the check valve is about 6" above the base of the pump. Not sure it did this right from the start (new pump and new check valve) - pump is very quiet compared to the old unit - but maybe I just didn't notice the add'l sound before...

thanks

rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote