Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2009, 11:56 PM   #1

Share |

Hammer Arrester

I am in a shower remodel. The main shower valve has hammer arresters on it. I am going to install a diverter valve between it and the shower head for a hand shower. Does that valve need a hammer arrester on it also?
rodss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:41 AM   #2

Hammer Arrester

Personally I put them on the hot and cold side of each diverter. I like the Sioux Chief ones. The old school air chambers made from plain old 1/2" copper do not work long term...It has been proven that they eventually fill with air.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #3

Hammer Arrester

Thanks for the reply. The diverter does not have a hot and cold side. Just a line in from the main valve (which has hammer arresters on both sides) then one line out of the diverter to the stationary shower head and one line out to the hand held shower head. As far as the arresters I have the field made ones on there now which have been trouble free for 25 years however I was thinking about putting in the manufactured type. I notice they come in different lengths. What would I need to for my shower. Again thanks.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #4

Hammer Arrester

I had my mouth in drive and my brain in neutral. Jeez. Sorry about that....I even typed diverter but my brain was thinking valve. No, a diverter doesn't need hammer arrestors. Only the shower valve does. Just pipe it and you'll be good to go.

This sleep deprivation stuff must really be getting to me.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #5

Hammer Arrester

That must be a guy thing because I do it all the time. Thanks so much. One last question. Do you recommend sweat or threaded arresters.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #6

Hammer Arrester

Sweat or threaded doesn't really matter. Personally I like to sweat my work when I can so that's what I've always used.