Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Half Bath Conversion

Hello,

I have a half bath in a house that I'm working on. I'm interested in converting the half bath to a full bath. The bathroom in question sits on a slab.

There are plumbing supply lines in the ceiling of the room and drain lines running through the floor (slab) so all the plumbing is near by already. It's not on the other end of the house. The main 4" vent which goes to the roof and out to the street also runs through one of the walls in this room.

What do you think would be a fair cost for a plumber to charge for pulling the permit, doing the inspections, and running new drain/supply lines for everything to pass inspection.

This is for the Norfolk, VA area. I'm thinking the maximum cost should be about $1,500.00 which would break down to about 25 hours labor at $40.00 per hour plus a $500.00 fee for pulling a permit.

What do you think of the cost for doing the conversion and do you know of any good licensed plumbers in the area?

Thank you!!!

kingbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Half Bath Conversion

Nobody gives prices here.Too many factors to even try but I will say in my part of the country you won't even get a plumber to go down your street for $40 an hour.

plumberman134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

Half Bath Conversion

And no real plumber should be running water lines over head in your area.
I've seen way to many house taken out from plumbing in outside walls and in the attic in my area and I'm only an hour away from you.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,340

Half Bath Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuggy View Post
Hello,

I have a half bath in a house that I'm working on. I'm interested in converting the half bath to a full bath. The bathroom in question sits on a slab.

There are plumbing supply lines in the ceiling of the room and drain lines running through the floor (slab) so all the plumbing is near by already. It's not on the other end of the house. The main 4" vent which goes to the roof and out to the street also runs through one of the walls in this room.

What do you think would be a fair cost for a plumber to charge for pulling the permit, doing the inspections, and running new drain/supply lines for everything to pass inspection.

This is for the Norfolk, VA area. I'm thinking the maximum cost should be about $1,500.00 which would break down to about 25 hours labor at $40.00 per hour plus a $500.00 fee for pulling a permit.

What do you think of the cost for doing the conversion and do you know of any good licensed plumbers in the area?

Thank you!!!
we don't give prices here ...call a local plumber in your area and see how close your guess is.....ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Half Bath Conversion

Thank you everyone for your help. Please note this house is split level and the half bath is in what is considered the basement so the plumbing supply lines are in the ceiling. I got a quote from a really good contractor I've been using for about 2 months now to convert the half bath to a full bath and to convert the garage to an additional bedroom. The price he quoted for all the labor, and permits will be $4,500.00. I pick up the cost of all materials. Does anyone know if the quote is reasonable at least? It includes breaking the slab to run new drain lines, tiles, everything except for paint in both the new bathroom and garage.
kingbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Half Bath Conversion

A "contractor" should not be touching your plumbing. At least where I live anyway.

I wouldn't want one touching mine either.

ben's plumbing (05-03-2012)