Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #1

Share |

Gurgling sink

I just had my bathroom remodeled. Every time I flush my toilet, my sink makes a gurgling sound. I already know that this is a venting problem. I don't have a vent pipe on my roof or in the attic and i dont want to open up any walls so I was wondering if putting an air admittance valve after the trap on the sink would be ok.
romex1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #2

Gurgling sink

AAV could be the solution for this. A quick question though;
- Is it just the remodel that has no vent or the entire house?
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #3

Gurgling sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber
AAV could be the solution for this. A quick question though;
- Is it just the remodel that has no vent or the entire house?
Just the upstairs remodel. The kitchen sink and the washer both share a vent downstairs and it goes out through the sill plate on the side of the house I have access to the sink plumbing so I would much rather add an Aav. I also don't have much roofing experience to add a vent to the roof

Last edited by romex1220; 07-09-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #4

Gurgling sink

did a licensed plumber do the work? was a permit pulled? this is an upstairs job and has no vent?
was this a handyman remodel or were qualified contractors used?
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Master Plumber

Gurgling sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
did a licensed plumber do the work? was a permit pulled? this is an upstairs job and has no vent?
was this a handyman remodel or were qualified contractors used?
I think we all could answer That No, No, Yes, the handyman,

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #6

Gurgling sink

if this was a remodel where is the vent... it should have a vent commode and sink...ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #7

Gurgling sink

The bathroom remodel was a birthday present from my parents. My moms friends cousin had done previous renos before which I saw and they looked very good. She hired him to remodel my bathroom since i needed a new one and remodeling bathrooms is not my forte. I'm a licensed electrician so I don't know much about plumbing. He replaced the window and I saw that there was one 2x4 laying on its face for a header and it was Boeing. I pointed that out and he said it was fine. I know damn well that's not how it should be. Wouldn't be long till I can't open and close the window right. He put new tiles down on top of cement board he put down. But he put the cement board on top of MDF board which is particle board. Won't be long till I have cracked tiles. He installed a vanity sink and his run goes uphill after the trap. He used old ungrounded scrap wire for the outlets which I immediately replaced while he was gone and had the walls open. It looks good like the other jobs he did but none of them will last. He's more of a roofer and sider. He should just stick to that and stay away from bathrooms.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #8

Gurgling sink

i hope you relayed all of this info to your parents so they don't recommend this guy to anyone else.
i doubt that he is a good roofer or sider.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
VIPlumber (07-09-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #9

Gurgling sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT
i hope you relayed all of this info to your parents so they don't recommend this guy to anyone else.
i doubt that he is a good roofer or sider.
Yeah I showed them the work that he did and explained what was wrong. I'll use the bathroom as it is now but I know in the future I'll have to hire a professional to come in and do the work. This is why you never have handyman do the work. I'm glad I was home while he was doing the work because it looks really good right now but I would have never seen what shortcuts he took and it would have taken me by surprise when it would all start falling apart. By the way I got the aaf valve installed after the trap on the sink. I also had access to the shower drain so I put one there as well. Toilet flushes much better and NO GURGLING or water getting sucked out of trap filling room with sewer gases!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #10

Gurgling sink

The amazing part is now that your bath has a wonderful not legal plumbing system you can go and sue that idiot of a handyman and get a professional to fix your house to code with inspections. Get three prices from professional plumbers with permits included to repair the damage he has done. Your house is a large investment and losing thousands on resale is not a good option.

As a plumbing inspector in Ohio we occasionally do presale inspections on homes for a buyer. If things are not up to snuff or hacked in where traps may be pulled the buyer gets a full list of all code violations. They usually beat the price down for the cost of repair.

Small claims is a wonderful thing...
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote