Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Gurgling

Hello!

I bought my home 2 years ago and the plumbing is fairly new (less than 5 years old) and for some time now, about a year into living here, I have began hearing noises from the drains in my kitchen and toilet when I wash clothes. The toilets water sloshes around and the kitchen drain (further away from street) makes a sucking sound like from an empty drain or something. I have two holes with caps coming up from the ground in my front yard in line leading to the road. The one closer to the house SOMETIMES shows sitting water, while the one closer to the road which is a more verticle pipe than the one closer to the house, is full of water. I have taken a snake before and jammed it WELL into the pipes under the street and sometimes the water quickly drains. I've called the city out here a couple weeks ago and a man came out and said he didn't see much except a little bit of grease on the city connection and he cleaned it out and for a couple weeks now, I've washed clothes without a problem. But now I've heard the sound again tonight and it's awful. I don't pour grease down the drains or anything, just a single guy with short hair and thin tissue paper, haha! I don't understand where there COULD be a clog. Any ideas? From the way the water levels look at the holes outside, it looks like the clogs are always from the one hole between the street and the hole closest to it. Any help~!?

Thanks,

Chris

chrispoarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:33 PM   #2

Gurgling

sounds more like a vent plugged

skeeter 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #3

Gurgling

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter 152 View Post
sounds more like a vent plugged
Could you explain what a vent would be in this situation and what I could do about it? Thanks!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #4

Gurgling

all your plumbing is vented so when you flush drain etc air replaces the water
Old 02-23-2009, 11:16 PM   #5

Gurgling

the vent is part of the plumbing and exits out the roof if this is plugged on the roof or between drains it will try to draw air from the easiest place have you noticed any sewer smell?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 PM   #6

Gurgling

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter 152 View Post
the vent is part of the plumbing and exits out the roof if this is plugged on the roof or between drains it will try to draw air from the easiest place have you noticed any sewer smell?
No, I have not noticed any sewer smell or anything. I just washed a load of clothes, (first load this week, (I live alone)) and somewhere in the water cycle of the washing, I can see air bubbles coming out from the toilet bowl and the bowl making those sounds. I can also hear sounds from the other drains around the house. Then, towards the end of the cycle, the water drains from the toilet bowl and stays low. I don't know what is causing this. I haven't noticed water leaking under the house or anything. The pipes that have the PVC caps in my front yard can be removed and standing water is visible to the top of the cap...so something is clogged but I don't flush trash or grease, etc. I had the city come out a couple weeks ago and they said they removed "grease" from their connection point, but now it's doing it again and I haven't even cooked...