Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Grinder Pumps

Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they a pain? I'm looking at a house with one, and I thought this might be a good place to get opinions from other homeowners. Is it a problem if you use a lot of water?

patriot81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
Idiot Emeritus

Grinder Pumps

In my experience, they're a maintenance nightmare. The big commercial ones are worse than the residential ones, but they don't run nearly as long as a solids-handling pump. The first time a small rock, marble, coin, etc gets into them, you'll know what I mean!

The flow capacity of a grinder pump is about 1/2 of a solids-handling pump.

I've been involved with several municipal pump stations where the grinders were replaced with solids-handling pumps.

Rob

micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #3

Grinder Pumps

Macerating ejector pits aren't uncommon in homes. I wouldn't say they're a maintenance nightmare, but they are something else that can go bad and need replacement....That's never convenient. Properly installed, they should provide years of carefree reliable service.

When they're installed it is usually because there's no other way to get sewage to the sewer due to the fixtures' elevation.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #4

Grinder Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
In my experience, they're a maintenance nightmare. The big commercial ones are worse than the residential ones, but they don't run nearly as long as a solids-handling pump. The first time a small rock, marble, coin, etc gets into them, you'll know what I mean!

The flow capacity of a grinder pump is about 1/2 of a solids-handling pump.

I've been involved with several municipal pump stations where the grinders were replaced with solids-handling pumps.

Rob
Thanks for your reply...Would you say then that this causes any problems such as slow shower drainage, inefficient toilet flushing, etc.? Do you have to get the whole thing replaced for a rock or coin problem?
patriot81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #5

Grinder Pumps

not an expert here, only delt with commercial, the only time it effects your water flow is if it breaks down. I've only seen them installed in pairs, one breaks down the other will carry the load. they have alarm systems on them so you know when one is having a problem. One cause of problems is the use of powered soap, laundry, dishwasher, and kitchen grease. Its something you will have to keep an eye on. To me, its an a adjustment when you go to using a different type sewer system, going from city sewer to using septic system, not using a pump grinder to using one. Without a backup power system, if you lose electric power your pump won't work. Nothing disrupts your daily routine like a backing up sewer pipe.