Green Granules In Hot Water Pipes - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

green granules in hot water pipes

I am getting loss of pressure and even stoppage in my upstares bathroom sink faucets.. just the hot side.. when i took them apart there was green granules clogging the faucet screens.. this is not happing anywhere else in the lines... i cleaned them.. and it returned after 1 month...

question is... is this corrosion that is happening somewhere in the copper pipes?.. or is it that i need to flush the water heater? its a 5 year old house and i have never flushed the HWHeater..

your insights are welcome... thanks... don

Advertisement

donw21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

The dip tube in the water heater is disintegrating. It is replaceable, but it will take a long time to get all that stuff flushed out of the system. If the heater has some age on it, might be better to replace ithe heater.

This was a common problem in the late 90's which I thought had been corrected, but I am beginning to see it agin, recently.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:44 AM   #3

I would have to go with Bill on this one. I diagnosed this same problem the other day and we finally just ended up replacing the water heater and all of the faucet aerators which took care of the pressure problem. But try maybe just replacing the dip tube first.

“Television is like the invention of indoor plumbing. It didn’t change people’s habits. It just kept them inside the house.”

crockettplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #4

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts it is the dip tube.

Most manufacturers recommend flushing the water heater every 1-2 years to maintain the warranty. Might as well flush it, can't hurt.

Don't forget to check your T&P valve either. Over pressurized heaters will launch from time to time.
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #5

the heater was installed just 5yrs ago... its a bradford white... 75gal high eff model.. i thought it was a decient one.. but i guess not... do i just disconnect the pipe... take off the dip tube nipple and pull that diptube straight up and out?

thanks for your help guys... don
Old 03-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

High efficiency units tend to have a better lifespan, so try the diptube first, flushing out the pieces is the hard part. I think they all get the diptubes from 1-2 sources, however. Yes, remove cold supply, the dip tube is under that and should be easy to pull up and out. Big box and plumbing supplys have diptubes, but I made one out of copper on a number of occasions. Have to flare the end so it won't drop into the tank.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #7

i'll give it a go.. don

Advertisement