Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #1

Share |

Gravel in my water pipes

I've always noticed that our water pressure throughout our (one year old) house is on the low side, and our fridge's ice maker sometimes makes small cubes. When I was replacing one of my faucets (because it wouldn't shut off), I found small gravel at the head of the pipe. The same type of gravel that's in our crawl space. I think the plumbing contractor got gravel into our lines when the house was being built.

Question: How do I remove the gravel that's obviously there? Do I have to remove all the fixtures and purge the lines? Do I have to find the low spot in the plumbing, cut the line, and blow out the lines with air pressure? I'm really at a loss on how to fix this problem. (the plumber is out of business, no surprise).

attainedage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Gravel in my water pipes

Ayuh.... Are ya on a Well,..??

If not, have you checked the pressure that's bein' delivered,..??

If it's Severe, I'd think pullin', 'n purgin' might be needed...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #3

Gravel in my water pipes

It's possible that the gravel is coming from the well water supply.

Could be your holding tank, if the bladder is going soft or bad, gravel can sneak in to the water lines.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Master Plumber

Gravel in my water pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by attainedage View Post
I've always noticed that our water pressure throughout our (one year old) house is on the low side, and our fridge's ice maker sometimes makes small cubes. When I was replacing one of my faucets (because it wouldn't shut off), I found small gravel at the head of the pipe. The same type of gravel that's in our crawl space. I think the plumbing contractor got gravel into our lines when the house was being built.

Question: How do I remove the gravel that's obviously there? Do I have to remove all the fixtures and purge the lines? Do I have to find the low spot in the plumbing, cut the line, and blow out the lines with air pressure? I'm really at a loss on how to fix this problem. (the plumber is out of business, no surprise).

To answer your question, you would have to have the system back flushed, couple ways of doing it. I do not Recommend DIY . And not all plumbers know how to do it correctly, you’ll need to check around to find someone with experience in this area. You also need to track the source of the gravel. Good luck

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #5

Gravel in my water pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
To answer your question, you would have to have the system back flushed, couple ways of doing it. I do not Recommend DIY . And not all plumbers know how to do it correctly, you’ll need to check around to find someone with experience in this area. You also need to track the source of the gravel. Good luck
Thank you, Javiles. We're not on a well. The house is less than two years old. The gravel is the same pea gravel that's in our crawl space. I suspect that the plumbers who did the plumbing didn't tape their pipe ends as they were feeding them into the crawl space, and of course, that's where the rocks came from. I will talk more to my general contractor about back flushing.
attainedage is offline   Reply With Quote