Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #1

Share |

Granite Sink Leaking

Hello... I'm new to this forum, and the computer somewhat, and hopefully I'm posting in the right area. (It's not really a plumbing issue.)

I'm remodeling a home with slab granite kitchen counter and integral granite sink. (I've never run into an integral granite sink.)

There is a small leak (dripping) coming from the union of the sink bottom and it's sidewall. (Obviously only when the water is running into the sink.

The leak has apparently been occuring for a long time (can tell from the stains on the melamine cabinet floor). Visual and mechainical inspection (just shaking and feeling for any structural defect), does not indicate any structural weakness/damage at this time.

The granite, sink base to sink wall, appears to be glued witha dark brown type caulk material (liquid nailish type). I suppose it is a structural type epoxy for granite.

Does anyone know what that epoxy is and where I could get it.??

I'm sure I can just silicon the surface joints and stop the leak... but should there be a structural weakness (it's the sink with the disposer) I would prefer re-epoxying it.

Thank you

ptfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
DIY staff

Granite Sink Leaking

Sorry---I've never heard of that---are you saying that the sink is actually made up from 5 flat pieces of regular granite? 4 sides and a bottom glued like a fish tank?

Old 10-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #3

Granite Sink Leaking

That sounds a lot like my slate sink (structurally, not the leak.) A picture would help to figure it out. Another option would be to look for a stone shop in your area (business specializing in granite, marble, etc... counter tops.) They should be able to tell you a) What the material b) The proper adhesive and, c) How to fix the leak.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #4

Granite Sink Leaking

Thanks guys.... I did call a lot of granite fabricators, got directed to a stone wholesaler in Denver, and he will sell me an epoxy for granite as I am a GC.

Kinda pricey, but I'm not comfortable just siliconing it to stop the leak. Wish I knew wheather the leak was "normal occurance" or indicative of a structural weakness. Anybody know????

Mike... yes, in principle it's "five pieces" of granite epoxied to make a sink and hung off the slab (undermount) apparently with kind of sistered on blocks of granite that just appear to be epoxied... no external support... can't tell if there is internal dadoed in steel.

I say "in principle" because actually it's a double bowl that is curved. The curve is made with vertical slats (maybe one inch wide). I'd never seen it before either.

Thank you

Peter
ptfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
DIY staff

Granite Sink Leaking

Sounds like an experiment----natural stone is not waterproof---it will absorb water--some more than others.

Hollows and voids can occur--

The glue job would also have to be perfect----Sounds to risky for my taste-
Old 10-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #6

Granite Sink Leaking

Very interesting!
Could you possibly post some pictures?

rossfingal

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
granite epoxy, integral sink