Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #1

Share |

granite color variation

Not sure which sub-forum to put this so here goes.... We are going to install granite countertops in kitchen and my granite sub (maybe) said I could go to Lowes or wherever to pick out color and his suppliers same color would look basically the same. Is this accurate or should I see his suppliers slabs for myself? Thanks in advance for any advice.

ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:05 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

granite color variation

If you are really concerned, look at the slab before citting. - Otherwise you are just looking at a small sample that may not be representaive of the whole slab, veining and color variations.

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:02 PM   #3

granite color variation

Thanks, just to be a little clearer.... we are leaning towards venetian gold so i am not worried about the color as I have seen it installed in several homes but rather: is there a chance my installers supplier will have a much different looking venetian gold, should be basically the same right?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:03 PM   #4

granite color variation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabulldog View Post
is there a chance my installers supplier will have a much different looking venetian gold,
Yes, absolutely there is a good chance of that. It's not just the translation of seeing a tiny sample to the larger one, 20 minutes in a slab yard will convince you that it's very easy for multiple slabs of the same variety to be totally off and unappealing to your eye in some varieties of granite.

If you're not very picky and are very easy going then don't worry about it and be ready to accept whatever shows up. If that's not your style definitely pick out the slab.

If I was your contractor and you weren't going to pick out the slab I would have one hell of a disclaimer for you to sign off on.

I don't like to get in the middle of things but I'd be a little wary of anybody who said that to you and especially anybody sending you to Lowes to pick your colors. I'm assuming there is a big advantage to you choosing this person for the trade off, I'm assuming you are gaining a big advantage in price. Be careful, is all I would say. Sometimes you end up getting what you pay for.
Mike Finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:33 PM   #5

granite color variation

Mike, point well taken, thanks from ugabulldog...aka searching for new granite sub.