Good Pump For Septic - 70 Horizontal Feet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Good Pump For Septic - 70 horizontal feet

Any brand recommendations for a fella who needs a new septic pump? It's for my dose tank, my field is a good 70 feet away with a very minor vertical rise. I'm at a complete loss as to what pump to order. The last few I've bought have failed over the course of two years and I have a feeling it's because they aren't made to pump sewage that great of a distance.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. The sooner the better if possible (I know it's a holiday -- sorry!) my family has had to make trips to the neighbors for relief the last two days!

John

Advertisement

Last edited by JohnSlider; 01-01-2011 at 02:24 PM.
JohnSlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,178

It is most unlikely that the previous pumps failed because they were not designed to pump 70 feet. Pumps are always sized based on the required flow and the total dynamic head (TDH) they need to pump against. Total dynamic head includes the rise from the pump inlet to the outlet, plus the friction losses caused by the flow through the pipe. Unfortunately the exact computation of the total dynamic head on a pump is somewhat complex, however the friction loss over 70 feet is usually less than 2 or 3 feet, so the majority of the TDH is usually made up of the rise from the pump (which in the case of septic almost always sits at the bottom of a tank) and the distribution box.

A 2 year life span for a septic pump is exceptionally bad performance. My septic system includes a 100 foot run up a hill with a total rise of about 7 feet from the pump inlet to the D-box, and it has lasted 20 years without a problem. Perhaps you did not purchase a septic pump. A septic pump is generally constructed as a solids handling pump, mine is a 3/4 inch solids handling pump. A commercial septic pump will be at least 1/2 HP, usually is 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch solids handling, has a cast iron body, and a stainless steel impeller. Only in unusual situations would you need a 3/4 HP pump.

There are a number of very well regarded pump manufacturers, including Myers, Barnes, and Flygt, and there are others who make good pumps. I would purchase the pump from a pump distributor, NOT a big box store, as the big box stores likely carry consumer grade pumps, NOT industrial grade pumps, and you need an industrial grade pump. I recently purchased a 1/2 HP Myers solids handling sump pump (this is similar to a septic pump), and it cost me about $300. This has a cast iron body, is fully submersible, has a stainless steel impeller, and can handle 3/4 inch solids, so the price should be similar to a septic class pump. I am not specifically endorsing Myers, I have had good luck in the past with Barnes, and I have had BAD LUCK with cheap pumps I purchased at a big box store.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Orenco.com has free demo software to help calculate the pump you need. Of course it will only work for their pumps, but it may help.

Needless to say, consider also hiring an expert if you're unsure. I love being able to "do for myself" but sometimes an expert is worth it!!
Scottphys is offline   Reply With Quote