Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

Good grief, 1956 American Standard bath faucet repair problem

This morning I noticed our 1956 vintage bath faucet was dripping. No problem, right? Just take the existing cartridge out, go down to the store and get a new one, right?

So I get the old one out (hot side) and go down to the local big box store and find a new one. Get a cold side too since they're both old and I'll make everything new again. Get back home and get to work. Removed the old valve seat and replace it with the new one that came in the Danco kit. Take the new cartridge and install it and tighten everything back up. Go outside and turn water main back on (no shut off valves behind tub ) Go back inside and turn on hot water faucet... nothing . Whaaa?? Check the sink. Plenty of hot water there. Back to tub.... nothing. Back outside to shut off water main so I can pull cartridge back out. Checked it against the old one and they're identical. Pulled valve seat and compared it to the old one. Same. Put everything back together and turn water back on. Still no hot water.

If I loosen the nut that holds the stem assembly in place, I can get hot water to flow. Problem is, everything seems too loose if I leave it like that. Is there supposed to be some sort of washer between this nut and the valve body? I'm stumped. Here's some pics of the offending faucet.
Attached Thumbnails
Good grief, 1956 American Standard bath faucet repair problem-bathroom-faucet.jpg   Good grief, 1956 American Standard bath faucet repair problem-bathroom-faucet-stem.jpg  

David911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Those spindles are pretty simple little devices. IF they are turning, and the stem moves outward from the wall, the opening should be clear.

You are 100% sure that they are the exact same spindle assembly?

Old 02-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Actually, did you install the spindles in the fully open position? That large nut is just a packing nut to hold the assembly in. Pull them back out, and open the spindle assembly all the way, then put it in, tighten the packing nut, and then turn the spindle to close.

If you install them with the spindle assembly CLOSED, your packing nut is tightening against the washer instead of the brass body. Then when you open it, the brass body is flopping around inside there and creating the loose feeling that you're having.

At least that's what I can gather from where i'm sitting.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #4

Been trying different things since I posted and if I put the rubber seal from the new cartridge onto the old cartridge, it works fine. I took the new and old shafts and held them up together without the rubber seals in place and there is a minute difference between the lengths. The new is about 1/16" longer. I wouldn't think that would make such a difference, but apparently it does.

The existing cartridge looks like it may have been replaced before. Tried to go online and find some info on the faucet, but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack .
Old 02-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Actually, did you install the spindles in the fully open position? That large nut is just a packing nut to hold the assembly in. Pull them back out, and open the spindle assembly all the way, then put it in, tighten the packing nut, and then turn the spindle to close.

If you install them with the spindle assembly CLOSED, your packing nut is tightening against the washer instead of the brass body. Then when you open it, the brass body is flopping around inside there and creating the loose feeling that you're having.

At least that's what I can gather from where i'm sitting.
I've tried installing it both ways and no joy either way. The nut isn't your typical packing nut per se. It appears to run up tight to the cartridge assembly and press it in place. There's no seal associated with the nut.