Good Brand Of Kitchen Faucet For An Old Home - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2010, 02:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Good brand of kitchen faucet for an old home

I live in a house built back in the 60's and the kitchen faucet in the kitchen has one lever which you push up then left for hot water or swing to the right for cold water. Right now when the faucet is turned off it has this annoying drip. It drips, then drips, then drips. Just enough to drive you crazy. I have no idea what brand the faucet is but it's over 20 years old. I want to replace it, what brands of kitchen faucets are good? Nothing fancy, just a basic one handle model chrome faucet which goes up and to the left for hot water and up and to the right for cold water.

Advertisement

Stevoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I like Delta and Kohler. Avoid big box cheapies, you get what you pay for.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,318

Like Bill said----Buy a long established brand--If you ever need a repair part you can get it.

I've become a bit of a Kohler fan lately--the faucets have been designed for easy installation.

Moen and Delta are high on the list ,too.
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I agree that you get what you pay for, so take that into account. If you plan on staying in the house, you might want to see which ones have repair kits available at HomeDepot, Lowes, or your favorite mom-and-pop store. You will need to fix it some day and if you pick a faucet with common parts you will be happier!

In my house, it is mostly Delta faucets and I have had good luck.
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #5

I have an account with Lowe's which is where I plan to purchase a new faucet, their website lists over 100 kitchen faucets by various manufacturers which is why I asked. Is a chrome finish the type I should go with? Thanks for your comments.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #6
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

MOEN,only 1 major moving part to ever worry about. and yes ive got big shiny moen stickers on my vans
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

And, moen gives free parts to H/O too.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
And, moen gives free parts to H/O too.
So you recommend Moen over Delta? What size centers does a typical kitchen faucet have? I had to replace two bathroom faucets last year which had 4" centers. Advise whenever you can and thanks.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
the Musigician

seems most of these companies are making their parts in china now, so still.... be wary.
If I were you, I'd see if it's just a washer that needs replacement in your old fixture.

DM
Old 03-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoreno View Post
So you recommend Moen over Delta? What size centers does a typical kitchen faucet have? I had to replace two bathroom faucets last year which had 4" centers. Advise whenever you can and thanks.
Most basic faucets come in 4" centers, and i'm sure if you're going to HD most of them will be 4" centers as well.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
the Musigician

hmm... I thought most KITCHEN sinks were the 8" openings, and another for the sprayer in most cases?
Bathrooms -- 4" normally.

DM
Old 03-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
hmm... I thought most KITCHEN sinks were the 8" openings, and another for the sprayer in most cases?
Bathrooms -- 4" normally.

DM
I think you're right, not 4" centers on kitchen faucets but I'll call a plumbing supply house to check. I know for a fact that bathroom faucets are 4" centers because I replaced 2 recently. The kitchen faucet is old, 20 years or more and rather than have a plumber rebuild it I'll just buy a new one and have it installed.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #13
Doing it myself

No, you measure the kitchen faucet the same as any other faucet. Hot - Spout - Cold

4" on center = 4" centerset.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 42

I will add to the chorus here. Moen is a tried and true. I remember the bath faucet we had growing up was a Moen and it lasted a long time. I've had good luck with Deltas as well. It seems though that they just don't make anything like they used to. Each time I replace with something new, it seems like it just doesn't last as long.

I'm guessing you want to replace the old faucet because it's gotten worn out looking or dated. If you are happy with the looks of it though, I would suggest trying to replace the worn out parts if possible.

As far as chrome or any other finish, it's a matter of personal choice. The crome tends to be the cheapest and most common. It shines up pretty but shows fingerprints more readily. I defer that choice to my wife and these days she prefers brushed nickel.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
I will add to the chorus here. Moen is a tried and true. I remember the bath faucet we had growing up was a Moen and it lasted a long time. I've had good luck with Deltas as well. It seems though that they just don't make anything like they used to. Each time I replace with something new, it seems like it just doesn't last as long.

I'm guessing you want to replace the old faucet because it's gotten worn out looking or dated. If you are happy with the looks of it though, I would suggest trying to replace the worn out parts if possible.

As far as chrome or any other finish, it's a matter of personal choice. The crome tends to be the cheapest and most common. It shines up pretty but shows fingerprints more readily. I defer that choice to my wife and these days she prefers brushed nickel.
I want to replace the old kitchen faucet because it has this annoying drip when you shut it off. It will drip, drip, drip, etc. I had a plumber out here last month repairing a comode leak, I pointed it out to him, the plumber recommended replacing the old faucet with a new one rather than rebuild it, he recommended Delta or Moen kitchen faucets. Thanks for your comments.

Advertisement