Gluing PVC Pipe And Toilet Flange - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Gluing PVC pipe and toilet flange

My plumber left me with a 3" female connection at the 12" roughin, because I wasn't sure what flooring I was going with. Now the flooring is in place, I have 3" PVC and the flange, and I have calculated that in in order to get the flange level with the finished floor I need 3 1/4 inches of pipe. But when I try to dry fit this,the pipe does not go all the way in and the flange is an inch or so above the floor. I have one shot at this with the glue. My question is: does the glue act as a lubricant when assembling the joint so that the inserted pipe does in fact go all the way to the stop? So yes, I can cut it to 3.25" and it will push all the way home; or I should cut the pipe shorter and just push it to level?

There is no obstruction, just a very tight fit and I don't want to ram it in place while dry because I will never get it apart again to glue it.

Advertisement

ex-Khobar Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,620

Fitting tolerances are really tight. so when you "dry fit" a joint, they never seat completly. If your confident in your measurement, it will seat completely with glue. Keep pressure on it for a few seconds so it doesn't back out on you

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,708

yeah, the glue will lube it, but i wouldn't trust that entirely. how far can you push it in ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 686

Why not just lay the floor, cut it off even with the flooring then install the flange?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 718

Quote:
My plumber left me with a 3" female connection at the 12" roughin,
Should have been 4 4x3 closet bend then you could have gone in with a inside 4 out side 3 flange, but whats done is done, you could sacrifice a flange cut re leaf cuts on the flange so you can insert it and pull it back easily then when you verify your measurements glue in the new flange.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net

Last edited by Javiles; 03-03-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,708

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Fitting tolerances are really tight. so when you "dry fit" a joint, they never seat completly.
man, you ain't kiddin. and if they do go all the way in = good luck gettin them apart.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,548

Glue will lube it very well. Almost too well - note that the way those pipes are designed, it will want to slide back out when lubed with glue. You have to hold it in placed (pressed firmly down) for about a minute before letting go.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

First of all, the flange is supposed to sit ON TOP of the finished floor.

Secondly, We have to assume that you own a ruler? All you have to do is measure the distance from the finished floor, to the back of the bell, then measure from the back of the flange to the end of the spigot on the flange. Subtract about 3/16 for kicks, and cut the spigot off square. You can use a hose clamp to give you a really square line. You should get a flange with a stainless moveable ring on top. Prime the bell, and the pipe, and thoroughly coat both with slow set cement. You need a big dauber for 3 inch pipe. push in the spigot till it bottoms and rotate 1/4 turn to remove any bubbles. And Definitely hold the flange in, as another poster said, because it will try to back out from the heat developed by THF.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Jagans said: First of all, the flange is supposed to sit ON TOP of the finished floor.
The advice I got from a plumber at work was that the flange should be level with the finished floor; and looking at a random selection of you tube posts by people who claim to be plumbers, they are about evenly divided between those who place it on the finished floor and those who put it on the subfloor so it is more or less level with the finished floor surface. I have already cut all the tile so that the flange sits on the subfloor and is within 1/16th of level with the tile surface. Should I shim it up with a flange spacer?
ex-Khobar Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ex-Khobar Andy For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Nahh dont bother. Ive seen toilets with three wax seals! Just so the flange is well supported, and fastened down, because the toilet attaches to it in those keyhole slots. I slide in 5/16 brass bolts and put a jamb nut on top to secure the hold down bolts vertical and centered. Put the seal on the toilet and drop the bowl into position. Fasten down the bowl, and then install the tank nice and level.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #11
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 718

These flange post are getting old. Flange sits over the finished FLOOR!!!!!

Advertisement

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (03-04-2013)