Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

glass tile in shower

I am installing glass tiles iin a shower. I have used a Schleuter base. I read that the kerdi membrane should be installed using unmodified thinset but the glass tiles do not use unmodified thinset. What are my options. Could I forego hanging the kerdi fabric on the walls and simply use the glass tile modified thinset that was recommended. Or could I hang the kerdi on the walls and then use the unmodified thinset that Schleuter recommends. What would this do to the glass tiles. INsofar as the the floor goes could I forego the kerdi and install the glass floor tiles directly over that styrofoam Schleuter base. Thanks for any and all help.

beech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 26

glass tile in shower

WOW!

You MUST use the KERDI membrane over the styrofoam base, there is no other way.

Glass tiles always require a modified thinset. What size are the glass tiles?

What are the walls made of ?

Didn't that shower kit come with instructions?

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #3

glass tile in shower

I did a lot of research on the glass tile/kerdi debacle with the last shower I did. Kerdi doesn't recommend using modified and just refers you back to the glass tile manufacturers recommendations. If you check with them, they recommend modified thinset. Kinda like the old chicken and the egg thing. The problem is the latex modifiers need a way to get rid of the moisture in the thinset to cure. The unmodified is more of a chemical reaction. (Just going by what I read, I'm not an engineer) The small amount of glass tile I was using was part of a mosaic trim strip with all very small pieces. Basically my local sales rep said I wouldn't have a problem using modified in just the area of the trim strip (about 4" tall) due to all the grout joint area between the tiles. I didn't have any trouble, the thinset set up like it normally would.
If you are using larger glass tiles like a subway stile, I wouldn't recommend the kerdi system, only due to the fact that neither party will stand by your install, and the modified thinset might not set up.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Tileguy

glass tile in shower

Modified thinset WILL set up over KERDI and under glass tile. It will. It just needs a little extra time that's all. If you use it on the walls and aren't trying to walk on the walls there won't be an issue.

Modified thinset can be used with any of the Schluter products if you have the time to wait for it to do its thing. It isn't a big deal.

If you are concerned about warranties don't be. You don't have any kind of a warranty anyway. Those warranty's aren't worth the paper they are written on. The best any of those companies are going to do is replace the product to satisfy a warranty claim.

People get excited over the damnedest things these days. You roll stop signs and red lights and you violate speed limits and you cheat on your taxes and then you worry about following a product manufacturers recommendations to the letter. I don't get it.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #5

glass tile in shower

Thanks to everyone so far. Bud you asked a couple of questions. The glass tiles are 1 inch by 4 inches and come is 12 in by 12 in sections. The walls are concrete board.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
Tileguy

glass tile in shower

I think the minimum size tile that can be used on the shower floor is two inch tile. Don't know if you plan on using the glass tile on the floor or not.

Modified thinset requires air to dry and you will have plenty of air available with two inch tiles on the floor and 1" X 4" tile on the walls. I'm sure you are using a larger tile also on the walls for the field but I wouldn't worry about that either. Just to cover all the bases what size wall tiles are being used in addition to the glass tiles?
Old 09-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #7

glass tile in shower

TY Bud. The 1in by 4 in tile is what covers the entire field on the wall. Am I in trouble? tire Thanks
Old 09-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
Tileguy

glass tile in shower

On the wall that's fine. You couldn't use it on the floor like that.