DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Getting those darn non-slip rubber pads off of bottom of fiberglass shower

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Mike Swearingen 
#1 ·
This is a silly problem compared to some of the major plumbing repairs posted on this site. Right now I'm tackling removing those rubber(?) non-skid pads off the bottom of our fiberglass shower. They've been on there for so many years that they're like dry rotted on, and using fingernails, they come off in hundreds and hundreds of tiny bits. I don't want to use a razorblade to pry these off in case I scratch/hurt the fiberglass. A rubber scraper won't work because the scraper's end is not thin enough to slid under the pads. Would some kind of adhesive remover work? Something that won't hurt the finish?

#3 ·
I think paint thinner will also remove the adhesive. I did this many years ago myself. You might also try using a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the adhesive first, then peel them up. Then use paint thinner to remove the residue.

Goof Off will probably also work, I just think paint thinner is cheaper and you're more likely to already have it!

#4 ·
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will give them a try. Is mineral spirits the same thing as paint thinner? If so, I do have that around that I can use first before buying the Goof Off.

I have a little concern about putting these products on the fiberglass shower. You don't think they'll ruin the finish?

I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

#5 ·
I'm not sure about paint thinner on a shower finish.......... Never tried it, but it wouldn't be the first thing I would try. :eek:

You might try calling one of the big shower mfgs and see what they say. Lasco, Aquaglass, Maax....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.