Gets Loose!!!!!! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,008

Gets Loose!!!!!!

The kitchen sink has two strainers. The tail pieces always seem to get loose and flood the cabinet. They always come loose at the strainer. I have replaced the plastic hand turn (nuts?) I am not sure what you call them, more than once. They screw on to hold the tail piece to the strainer. It seems like maybe I need the metal type instead of the PVC type due to the threads? Or, do I need to replace the strainers? Nothing is hitting the tail pieces. The connection between the strainer and tail piece is the only thing that gets loose. It happens on both sides. It will stay dry and everything seems fine and then Bam. Water inside cabinet and floor.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Gets Loose!!!!!!

Sounds more like a problem with the gasket that tightens against the tail piece. This gasket is inside the nut and compresses (and seals) when you tighten the nut. I have also seen the gasket installed upside down. The tapered end goes away from the nut and the thick, flat part is against the backside of the nut. Check to see if the gasket is 1) there 2) installed correctly 3) not broken, since most are nylon.

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Gets Loose!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
The kitchen sink has two strainers. The tail pieces always seem to get loose and flood the cabinet. They always come loose at the strainer. I have replaced the plastic hand turn (nuts?) I am not sure what you call them, more than once. They screw on to hold the tail piece to the strainer. It seems like maybe I need the metal type instead of the PVC type due to the threads? Or, do I need to replace the strainers? Nothing is hitting the tail pieces. The connection between the strainer and tail piece is the only thing that gets loose. It happens on both sides. It will stay dry and everything seems fine and then Bam. Water inside cabinet and floor.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Use metal nuts and a flanged tailpiece washer. The one that look kinda like a top hat.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Gets Loose!!!!!!

Was the stainer installed with plumbers putty around the hole? Usually if it is the not can come off and it still won't leak unless banged.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Gets Loose!!!!!!

with me, if its plastic threads and leaking, I end up stripping the threads, on the kitchen sink, I like to use the strainers, metal, that have the thumbs screws on the bracket to help tighten it up.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:56 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Gets Loose!!!!!!

Sometimes the threads on the strainers aren't cut deep enough especialy if you use those made in china or taiwan. replace the strainers with a good american made metal strainer and use either plastic or metal slip nuts with a tailpeice washer.
al's sewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,008

Gets Loose!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's sewer View Post
Sometimes the threads on the strainers aren't cut deep enough especialy if you use those made in china or taiwan. replace the strainers with a good american made metal strainer and use either plastic or metal slip nuts with a tailpeice washer.
I noticed the threads look very shallow on the strainers. Like they will not even get tight. But the tail piece will tighten and then a few days, a month they come loose again.
So, you suggest replacing the strainers and use the metal slip nuts that come with the strainers?

Should I try the metal slip nuts first or go all the way (strainers too)? Thanks John

Ps....I just remembered that I had to remove the washers (that looks like a top hat) just to get the threads started.

Last edited by J. V.; 05-11-2009 at 11:59 AM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Gets Loose!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
I noticed the threads look very shallow on the strainers. Like they will not even get tight. But the tail piece will tighten and then a few days, a month they come loose again.
So, you suggest replacing the strainers and use the metal slip nuts that come with the strainers?

Should I try the metal slip nuts first or go all the way (strainers too)? Thanks John

Ps....I just remembered that I had to remove the washers (that looks like a top hat) just to get the threads started.
I would replace the strainers with new ones and before you leave the supply store try putting your tail peice and tailpeice washer on it before you leave and make sure it will work. The tailpeice washer is essential.

Advertisement

al's sewer is offline   Reply With Quote