Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #1

Share |

General Help with replacing shut off valve under kitchen sink- Pics included

Hi guys, my parents had me install a new faucet in their kitchen sink. It works great and everything, but after the install the hot water pressure basically decreased greatly. The cold water pressure is fine, but I believe after I had turned off the hot water at the shutoff valve, something in the valve got messed up and is blocking the water supply. After turning the hot water valve off and on repeatedly to see if there was a difference, at times I would get really good hot water pressure, and other times I would not, all when opened completely. So something in valve is screwed up I believe. Now, no matter what I do, whether I open the valve all the way or I close it all the way, the hot water pressure is identical and remains low (meaning water even comes out now when the valve is closed). I cleaned out the brand new faucet's aerator after doing this and got a bunch of black junk, so something was breaking up in the valve (mineral deposits, maybe gaskets, etc).

Bottom line, I need to replace the valve, which I have never done before. I have included pictures below to show you my set up. Sorry for the poor lighting and photo quality, the pics were taken on my phone's camera.

My questions are, what kind of valve is on my copper piping? I have seen people unscrew other shut off valves online, and sometimes people cut the copper pipe. I would rather unscrew this one but it seems like there are no nuts on it. The top nut in the photo is from the new faucet line, and the bottom has no nut. So the big question I have is can I uncrew this valve and take it off my piping without cutting the copper pipe?

I would rather unscrew it and then install a new compression fitting, but it seems like there are no nuts to unscrew. Also, any suggestions on what valve size or type I need?

As you can tell, this is a very basic job but I have a lot of questions since I have very little plumbing experience besides solvent welding pvc together.

Thanks for all the help
Attached Thumbnails
General Help with replacing shut off valve under kitchen sink- Pics included-img_20120311_222347.jpg   General Help with replacing shut off valve under kitchen sink- Pics included-img_20120311_222406.jpg  

amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #2

Looks like 1/2" copper tubing supplies with the valve sweated on.
If you don't want to sweat, get a tubing cutter and cut off old valve. Then use a 5/8" Outside diameter (OD) compression x 3/8" compression valve to replace it.
It might be worth turning off the water and undoing the valve stem to see if you can just replace the washer inside it. Valves are cheap, get a 1/4 turn ball valve to replace the one you have if you go the replace route.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob22 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-03-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #3

Awesome! Thanks so much for the help, should be able to get this done next time I see my parents. Take care
amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
DIY Enthusiast

They also sell sharks with shut offs.
Cut the pipe,push on the shark,connect supply line and your done.
Love them sharks!
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #5

Shut off the main water, remove the valve stem from the valve housing (large nut on the side). Remove the bits of broken rubber washer from the valve internal port. Replace the small rubber washer on the stem and reinstall. This is a common problem on this type of valve if it has not been cycled for a while. When done, Remove the aerator from the faucet and flush out any remaining bits. You may have to remove the cartridge from the faucet to purge any bits out there also
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote