Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
copper

Share |

GE Geospringer hybrid water heater opinions

Just as the title states, any opinions on this unit? Sears and Lowes sell it for $1199 but I located a company in Colorado that are selling them brand new factory sealed for $950 with free shipping. Talked to local lowes and they will price match.

Gerb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Master Plumber

I installed one for my neighbor couple months ago, last conversation i had with him no change in his utility bill, paid 1400 for the unit i did int charge him on the install, i could have gotten him a Rheem for about 300 bucks, in my opinion he just threw away 11 hundred bucks. Hey if you got it to toss it god bless Ya.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

I have an electric Geospring unit. As you probably know, this unit incorporates an air to air heat exchanger in addition to direct electric heat. I live in the Northeast, which tends to have hot and humid summers. The unit is in the basement, and in the summer it gets most of its heat from the air, so it operates very efficiently (claim is about 2-3 times as efficiently as direct electric heat). In the winter, the air is dry and relatively cool, so it operates essentially the same as direct electric heat.

Since electricity is very expensive in MA (almost 20 cents per kilowatt hour), this unit probably saves me about 40% overall on hot water versus an electric unit. If I had gas, this unit would make no sense at all, but there is no gas on my street.

Whether it makes sense for you depends on where you live.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote