GE GeoSpring Earthquake Bracing For California - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

GE GeoSpring Earthquake Bracing For California

I am thinking about installing a GE GeoSpring water heater in my garage and stopped by a Sears store to check out the product. I see there is a removable cover to allow access to the heating elements that extends from the top to the bottom of the tank. The GE install instructions state bracing for California must be provided, but they also state the front cover must be removable. Does anyone know how the GE GeoSpring water heaters are being braced for California installations? The representatives at Sears did not know and there are no instructions in the GE GeoSpring water heater install instructions.

Advertisement

Fire4Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire4Effect View Post
I am thinking about installing a GE GeoSpring water heater in my garage and stopped by a Sears store to check out the product. I see there is a removable cover to allow access to the heating elements that extends from the top to the bottom of the tank. The GE install instructions state bracing for California must be provided, but they also state the front cover must be removable. Does anyone know how the GE GeoSpring water heaters are being braced for California installations? The representatives at Sears did not know and there are no instructions in the GE GeoSpring water heater install instructions.
Well, how often would you need to open the cover? Would it be acceptable to you if you strapped it, and then had to undo the strapping to access the cover? Is the requirement for a removable cover "code" or convenience?

Can the cover be modified (ie slots cut out) so that you can strap under the cover? Or even cut the cover in half around the strapping?

Perhaps a non Geospring heater ... ?

Advertisement

Vincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Basically you need one strap near the top of the unit and one near the bottom of the unit. straps must be min. 16 ga. thick and 1 1/4" wide and need to be attached to two wall studs with min. 1/4" X 3" lag screws each.

Actually here is a link to a guideline for Calif. Actually this link says that plumber's tape is good but I do not think that is correct anymore. The date on the guideline is 2005 but it has a nice drawing of what to do. I will look for a more up to date link.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyGump; 03-22-2011 at 04:47 PM.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

i haven't seen that heater in person, but it seems like you'd be able to remove the cover, install the strapping, then reinstall the cover. just make sure the strapping isn't anywhere near any electrical connections
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,190

I have a Geospring heater. The cover is removable as stated. The electrical connections are on top, so if you remove the cover the straps can go around the heater without being anywhere near the electrical connections.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote