Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #1

Share |

Gas Water heater trouble

The other day I had my water turned off for about three hours. I have a gas water heater that has some kind of little pump contraption in-line on one of the lines that comes out the top of the heater. It started to make a little noise while the water was off so I unpluged it. After I turned the water back on it didn't get as hot as before so I turned up the heater. It seems to heat well but why does the cold water get warm now?

Cody A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #2

Gas Water heater trouble

Guessing the water heater is a long distance from where you need to use hot water.
Most likly you unplugged the cirulating pump that kept the water hot in the lines.
Post a picture of what you have.

If it's a newer water heater with a power vent you unplugged what gets rid of the CO2 gas. And yes that can kill you.
Without a picture it's anyone guess what you did.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #3

Gas Water heater trouble

Thanks joecaption, I'm pretty shure you are right about the circulating pump. It is for sure a water line that it is in-line on. I have a CO2 alarm so I think we are safe there. The other part to the story is that while I had the water off the other day I roughed in a new tub/shower valve. I can feel hot water in both sides coming off of that valve so I wonder if it is just open without the cartridge in it and that circulating pump is circulating hot into my cold water lines? Also, what is up with the relief valve on the water heater leaking? This has been happening for a while now. I will get a picture on here soon.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #4

Gas Water heater trouble

Today I went ahead and put the cartridge in the shower valve cuz it just made since that the pressure from the hot line was overtaking the cold line through that open valve....duh!!! Problem solved. I still wonder why the relief valve on the water heater leaks so much? It leaks over a gallon a day and I have to empty the collection pan under it every day. It is a pain and I am guessing that a proper installation has that valve connected to a drain rather than running out on the floor. But, does that amount of bleed-off seem normal or over what it should be?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #5

Gas Water heater trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody A View Post
Today I went ahead and put the cartridge in the shower valve cuz it just made since that the pressure from the hot line was overtaking the cold line through that open valve....duh!!! Problem solved. I still wonder why the relief valve on the water heater leaks so much? It leaks over a gallon a day and I have to empty the collection pan under it every day. It is a pain and I am guessing that a proper installation has that valve connected to a drain rather than running out on the floor. But, does that amount of bleed-off seem normal or over what it should be?
may need and expansion tank.....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #6

Gas Water heater trouble

And to add to Ben's suggestion, maybe something is jammed in the T&P relief valve, keeping it slightly open. Try holding it fully open for ~ 5 sec to see if it can't be dislodged.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #7

Gas Water heater trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody A View Post
this is a safety valve designed to open at high pressure or high temperature...if all is normal ...should have no water.......

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote