Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #1

Share |

Gas water heater/shutting water off/vacation?

In the past, when I am spending more than several days away from home, I have always shut off the main water to the house and turned the water heater (gas) down to 'vacation' mode. I have heard horror stories about leaking pipes when people were away for days on trips. I am now wondering if this is a bad idea. Am I somehow creating a dangerous situation with the water heater? I have no experience turning on/off the water heater and worry about dealing with the gas should I turn it completely off. I am not sure what to do at this point for my next trip.

socaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

I see no issue with turning off the water supply and setting the WH to the vacation (pilot only) setting. What are your concerns?

Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #3

I didn't know if there would be concern about water being pulled from the water heater into the system, for whatever reason (I have heard of something about pressure in the lines or lack there of). If there is no water circulating through the tank, does the water level drop over time? What happens to a gas water heater if has no water in it? Does it just act as a storage tank if it is on 'vacation' and the water main is turned off?
socaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Nothing happens. It will just sit in the tank.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote