DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Gas water heater installation

4K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  747 
#1 ·
My gas water heater recently started leaking (after 17 years of faithful service). So I had three different plumbing companies give me an estimate for replacing it. I was a little shocked when all 3 quoted a price at or around $1000. With the 40gal water heater costing roughly $400, that means the installation fee is $600. This seems very high, especially since the WH is super easy to access (it's not in a closet or an attic. Its out in a spacious and essentially empty garage.)

This has me seriously contemplating taking on this job myself.

questions:
- How difficult a job would this be for a plumbing novice? (I've been watching a lot of youtube instruction videos)
- Should I even attempt it?
Thanks.

Here's the current setup of the water heater:

See less See more
#3 ·
Since we do not know anything about you, how difficult it is, all depends on what you know.

Are you competent at sweating copper, and do you have the tools to do so?

Are you comfortable working with Gas, and have the tools to do so?

You can change the incoming gas connection to a range connector by most codes to make that part easier, and you have to sweat your stub assembly away from the WH so you dont melt the plastic dip tube, but thats about it.

You will want to change your incoming valve to a ball valve, also.

Turn off gas and water.
Drain tank, open fixtures above to allow water to evacuate system.
Install new tank incoming water valve etc.
Install range connector with teflon pipe dope on male pipe threads only, (not flared connections) Keep dope back from end of nipples min 1/8th inch.
Turn on water and fill tank. Purge air from all fixtures.
Attach flue pipe
Turn on gas and check connections with soapy water. wait a bit and smell. No gas smell? Light Pilot. wait 45 minutes, purge closest fixture with sediment screen off. Purge all other fixtures.
Set WH to desired temperature.
Enjoy hot water.

Or pay pro.

#2 ·
you have to remember that these companies have lots of overhead costs, Vehicles, gas, a shop, business fees taxes, insurance, even tools. these companies also may be using a higher quality water heater than just your average home supply store. this price usually include fittings, pipe, and any additional supplies or accessories. in addition most companies warranty their work so they have to add a little more for that.

#4 ·
#1 Go back and add your location to your profile, yes it makes a big differance when we reply.
EG, since it's in a garage that tank should have been sitting on a stand.
http://www.inspectorsjournal.com/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2879

Someone used used some galvinized pipe instead of black iron for the gas line.

In my area there needed to be a flex line to make the connection from the tank to the gas line, not solid pipe.

Globe valve has to be replaced with a ball valve.

Some areas code calls for the heater to be some how attached to the wall so it will not tip over in an earthquake.

Still others require the heater to be sitting in a drain pan so it it does leak the water gets drained outside.

#14 ·
Reactions: TheEplumber
#5 ·
I'm not trying to sway you either way - but HVAC1000 has one of the most important points. You need to ask what the specific model the installer is going to use to compare costs.
In addition to Joe Captions points- I don't see a drip leg for the gas line.
You could be looking at about $100 dollars in additional parts/permits.
Will your city take away the old tank for free?
Do you have a vehicle large enough to get it home?

#6 ·
In my area of Cleveland anything made of metal lasts an average of 41 seconds at the curb. Stoves and water heater generally do not make it off my dolly. As for your water heater, I would have a pro do it, not liking what I see so far. My parents hired a very reputable local handyman to do their water heater. When I saw his work I tore every piece of pipe out and started over, after I repaired the floor joist he cut. If that is what the best handyman can do, I will hire a pro in the future.

#9 ·
Yeah, I guess there are many more things to consider than just the cost of the WH and a simple install to that might justify the price quote. I just seems like a lot especially since one of plumbers said it only take around an hour and a half to 2 hours to complete.

Thanks for install tips. While I have all the equipment necessary for the job, my skill level is novice at best.( I've only soldered a few times ) And the idea of gas is probably my biggest apprehension. It does make me a little nervous but I guess that's healthy and normal.

My current WH is a '96 American but I'm guessing a lot of the things on the water heater (gas pipe, flue ) are probably original to the house (early 60s built and definitely need to be replaced. As far as the WH brands used by the plumbers I got the estimates from - One uses AO Smith, the other two use Rheem. One good thing about a possible self install is that I do have a truck for getting it home and the city does curbside pick up of appliances every other week, so those things wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the insight and tips. And thanks for bringing up a lot of things I need to consider that didn't cross my mind initially. I think I'll get a couple more quick estimates, and if they're all in the same ballpark of the previous estimates (or cheaper) I'll just have a pro do it.

#18 ·
Its a straightforward in stall for a plumber. Doesn't get any easier then your set up. I don't know where your at. I would think 7-800 installed. 1 hour job. Where i live i could sit it out on garbage day it wouldn't make it to the garbage man. There is black guy who comes around early a.m in pickup looking for stuff like this.:yes:

#19 ·
Even double wall should be a couple inches from wood IMO, but very nice work otherwise. Keeping spiders out of the intake could be challenging though, they are gonna love the heat down there, Like Club Med for Arachnids

:)

#23 ·
Even double wall should be a couple inches from wood IMO, but very nice work otherwise. Keeping spiders out of the intake could be challenging though, they are gonna love the heat down there, Like Club Med for Arachnids

:)
Code here is 1" min. I'm actually almost 2" from any wood....and though it's not obvious, the inside of that closet is lined with 5/8" Type X drywall..

One of items on my 'list' is to put a cover over the hole where the pipe transitions into the troft going up to the roof.

Every time i see a water heater installed with those flexible lines connectors i go off the chain these are the biggest :censored: rigs, sloppy unprofessional and eventually they will leak. Oh by the way 1000 bucks is a great price we we would charge about 1400 the install would need to be brought to code and permits pulled every time on gas this keeps me clear on liabilities if the heater should ever have a major problem that involved loss of life or damages.
We live in earthquake country....a hard piped line is more likely to crack something when things start shaking....Flex is the standard here. I really doubt mine will ever leak....

#20 · (Edited)
Every time i see a water heater installed with those flexible lines connectors i go off the chain these are the biggest :censored: rigs, sloppy unprofessional and eventually they will leak. Oh by the way 1000 bucks is a great price we we would charge about 1400 the install would need to be brought to code and permits pulled every time on gas this keeps me clear on liabilities if the heater should ever have a major problem that involved loss of life or damages.

#22 ·
Every time i see a water heater installed with those flexible lines connectors i go off the chain these are the biggest :censored: rigs, sloppy unprofessional and eventually they will leak.
I dunno, compared to the royal pain of hard piping, it's worth the small risk. Besides, if water conditions are gonna pinhole flex lines, hard pipes will eventually pinhole too.

I would always replace flex lines when replacing a WH though.

But, I guess hard piping makes homeowners more likely to call a plumber, so I suppose it's a money-maker for the pros.

#24 ·
Javiles said:
In my area we are required to have a certain amount of flex in the pipes at the water heater be cause almost all houses here have bentonite under the foundations which will expand and shrink causing the basement floors to move. So we often like to use the flex line however there are other ways

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.