Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Gas water heater dripping water


I bought a new hotwater heater (nat gas) GE brand and everytime it fills up, water starts dripping down the inside of the tank onto the pilot light/burner, until the tank is warm. I know it may be caused from condensation but it does it every single time i use hot water until the tank has heated back up. Is this really normal everytime? it's becoming annoying and my old tank never did this. I can understand maybe once in awhile it doing this, not every single time we use hot water.


NOTE I checked the top of the hotwater heater vent cap/flu pipe and there is no water dripping down into hotwater heater from flu pipe, so the cause would be from inside the tank. Could it be from really cold ground water heating up? I dont know what else could cause this.


Last edited by steve k; 12-06-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: update
steve k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
Posts: 6,946
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Gas water heater dripping water


Quote:
Originally Posted by steve k View Post
I bought a new hotwater heater (nat gas) GE brand and everytime it fills up, water starts dripping down the inside of the tank onto the pilot light/burner, until the tank is warm. I know it may be caused from condensation but it does it every single time i use hot water until the tank has heated back up. Is this really normal everytime? it's becoming annoying and my old tank never did this. I can understand maybe once in awhile it doing this, not every single time we use hot water.
Can you tell whether the water is coming from inside the water heater versus dripping down the flue up above and then into the middle of the heater?

I would not expect condensation to form inside the heater.

__________________
Stop wasting time re-adjusting the pattern. Have several lawn sprinklers, one for each pattern.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Member
 
biggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,630
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Gas water heater dripping water


if the flue is cold from the outside air it will condensate down into the burner from the flue as the burner heats up it might be the cold air and not the cold water causing it...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Gas water heater dripping water


Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
if the flue is cold from the outside air it will condensate down into the burner from the flue as the burner heats up it might be the cold air and not the cold water causing it...
I was hoping it would be condensation from the flu pipe but i checked and no water dripping from flu into hot water heater. could it be a bad tank? my last tank was the same brand and it leaked from the top so it was replaced with this one (Warranty covered it)
steve k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Gas water heater dripping water


Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Can you tell whether the water is coming from inside the water heater versus dripping down the flue up above and then into the middle of the heater?

I would not expect condensation to form inside the heater.
I checked and no water is dripping from the flu pipe into the hotwater heater, its from the inside of the tank. my last tank was replaced because it was leaking from the top and flooded my laundry room. warranty replaced it with this one. Could it be a bad tank? or could it be from really cold ground water heating up? It's only a 30 gallon tank so it only does this when its almost completely empty of hot water, if i use a little water it doesnt do it at all.
steve k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,646
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Gas water heater dripping water


the very cold water coming into the bottom of the tank is causing the condensation. the burning gas realeases water vapor from what ive heard and that probably condenses on the colder part of the tank at the bottom. I remember the first gas water heater i installed did that and i thought it was a leaker also.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Gas water heater dripping water


Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
the very cold water coming into the bottom of the tank is causing the condensation. the burning gas realeases water vapor from what ive heard and that probably condenses on the colder part of the tank at the bottom. I remember the first gas water heater i installed did that and i thought it was a leaker also.
Ok, thats good to know. thanks! after that last hot water heater i had i get kinda nervous of any drip or leak i hear.
steve k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
Member
 
biggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,630
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Gas water heater dripping water


if it was a water leak it wouldn't stop and go the tank is on the cold water side of the house feed water 50psi minimum coming in has to be cold condensate off the bottom of the tank....

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hot water heater problems


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to properly drain and flush a hot water heater? speedster1 Plumbing 9 04-17-2012 09:55 PM
Smelly brown water from water heater timthetoolman Plumbing 2 05-19-2011 09:32 AM
water heater drip kdange1 Plumbing 5 05-04-2010 03:24 PM
Water heater pressure relief valve confusion Flt_Simulation Plumbing 4 07-11-2009 10:02 AM
Water connections for new water heater diggerdave Plumbing 16 03-16-2009 10:36 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.