Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Gas water heater dripping water

I bought a new hotwater heater (nat gas) GE brand and everytime it fills up, water starts dripping down the inside of the tank onto the pilot light/burner, until the tank is warm. I know it may be caused from condensation but it does it every single time i use hot water until the tank has heated back up. Is this really normal everytime? it's becoming annoying and my old tank never did this. I can understand maybe once in awhile it doing this, not every single time we use hot water.

NOTE I checked the top of the hotwater heater vent cap/flu pipe and there is no water dripping down into hotwater heater from flu pipe, so the cause would be from inside the tank. Could it be from really cold ground water heating up? I dont know what else could cause this.

Last edited by steve k; 12-06-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: update
steve k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve k View Post
I bought a new hotwater heater (nat gas) GE brand and everytime it fills up, water starts dripping down the inside of the tank onto the pilot light/burner, until the tank is warm. I know it may be caused from condensation but it does it every single time i use hot water until the tank has heated back up. Is this really normal everytime? it's becoming annoying and my old tank never did this. I can understand maybe once in awhile it doing this, not every single time we use hot water.
Can you tell whether the water is coming from inside the water heater versus dripping down the flue up above and then into the middle of the heater?

I would not expect condensation to form inside the heater.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #3

if the flue is cold from the outside air it will condensate down into the burner from the flue as the burner heats up it might be the cold air and not the cold water causing it...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
if the flue is cold from the outside air it will condensate down into the burner from the flue as the burner heats up it might be the cold air and not the cold water causing it...
I was hoping it would be condensation from the flu pipe but i checked and no water dripping from flu into hot water heater. could it be a bad tank? my last tank was the same brand and it leaked from the top so it was replaced with this one (Warranty covered it)
Old 12-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Can you tell whether the water is coming from inside the water heater versus dripping down the flue up above and then into the middle of the heater?

I would not expect condensation to form inside the heater.
I checked and no water is dripping from the flu pipe into the hotwater heater, its from the inside of the tank. my last tank was replaced because it was leaking from the top and flooded my laundry room. warranty replaced it with this one. Could it be a bad tank? or could it be from really cold ground water heating up? It's only a 30 gallon tank so it only does this when its almost completely empty of hot water, if i use a little water it doesnt do it at all.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #6

the very cold water coming into the bottom of the tank is causing the condensation. the burning gas realeases water vapor from what ive heard and that probably condenses on the colder part of the tank at the bottom. I remember the first gas water heater i installed did that and i thought it was a leaker also.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
the very cold water coming into the bottom of the tank is causing the condensation. the burning gas realeases water vapor from what ive heard and that probably condenses on the colder part of the tank at the bottom. I remember the first gas water heater i installed did that and i thought it was a leaker also.
Ok, thats good to know. thanks! after that last hot water heater i had i get kinda nervous of any drip or leak i hear.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #8

if it was a water leak it wouldn't stop and go the tank is on the cold water side of the house feed water 50psi minimum coming in has to be cold condensate off the bottom of the tank....

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water heater problems