Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #1

Share |

Gas valve location for free standing range/oven

I'm going to be extending gas piping to a range/oven in our recently remodeled kitchen this weekend. I'm looking for help on the following - I need to stub a gas pipe through the floor and want to keep it as close to the wall as possible so the stove can sit as close to the wall as possible. The stove has about 1" recess in the back that would accommodate the piping. From past experience, I remembered needing a little more wiggle room once I add the shutoff valve to the 1/2" pipe coming up from the basement. Any ideas on how to keep the pipe as close to the wall as possible?

Is it legal to locate the shutoff valve in the basement (accessible location) and run straight pipe up through the floor? Am I better off cutting a little piece of drywall away so I can spin the gas valve?

Old 04-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
BIGRED

Gas valve location for free standing range/oven

The 1/2" gas valve for the stove is supposed to be as close to the appliance as possible for positive shut off when changing the appliance or if there is a leak. So putting the valve in another room or on another floor is not permitted. You could remove a piece of drywall twelve inches high x the stud cavity width and move the valve back 2" or so, but that cavity has to be sealed above that opening so the wall cannot fill up with any possible gas leaking from the line, valve, or appliance.

Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote