Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #1

Share |

Gas valve

Hey guys,

I'm getting a new washing machine installed today and was moving the old one out of the way and cleaning up the floor underneath and behind when I noticed the gas shutoff valve for the gas dryer. This shutoff valve was purchased in 2005 when I bought the dryer and was installed by the guy who delivered the washer and dryer. It's obvious that the red handle is facing the wrong way but it is still accessible so no big deal. My question is regarding the fact that it is touching conduit pipe, which I never noticed before. I'm concerned about the dissimilar metals causing corrosion, plus the fact that gas and electric don't play well together. I was thinking of simply keeping the two apart with a piece of wood or something. What would you guys do to rectify this situation?
Attached Thumbnails
Gas valve-gas-valve.jpg  

Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
call me E

Gas valve

The two shouldn't touch only because of looks- really not a concern otherwise. But I'd take a 2-hole strap and mount it on the pipe or conduit and spread them a bit

oh'mike (02-18-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Gas valve

Cut the tab off an asphalt shingle and slide it between the pipes. You have electrolysis going on there, so yes it is definitely a concern. Why did the installer locate the valve like that? On Krak?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #4

Gas valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Cut the tab off an asphalt shingle and slide it between the pipes. You have electrolysis going on there, so yes it is definitely a concern. Why did the installer locate the valve like that? On Krak?
Actually he might have been on something. I remember that he didn't think it was necessary to shut off the main gas valve before removing the old valve. He unscrewed the old one while the gas was still on and all I heard was gas rushing out while he screwed on the new one. No time to make it face the right direction when gas is streaming out. I'm surprised that he didn't light a cigarette at the same time. I'll get something to separate the two pipes. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by Dave Sal; 02-17-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Gas valve

The other day I pulled up to a gas pump and the guy in front of me was filling up a new corvette with a lit cigarette in his mouth. I said "Are you trying to commit suicide"? He said I didnt know what I was talking about, and that he has fueled cars a thousand times while smoking. I said yeah, but its that 1001 that gets you every time.

The point is that there are some crazy SOB's in this world, but it really isn't good to let them get too close to you. They usually end up killing someone else with their lack of care, not themselves, as they are one and all self- serving A-Holes.

The vibration of your dryer which will transmit and create wear between gas and electric conduits will eventually cause a disaster. I am sure that the guy that installed your dryer will cause a tragedy down the road somewhere, as he is thoughtless.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #6

Gas valve

Just need one of these.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=13

There's also no drip leg which would be a code violation here.
http://www.eaglespecinspections.com/observations.html
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (02-17-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Gas valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
Actually he might have been on something. I remember that he didn't think it was necessary to shut off the main gas valve before removing the old valve. He unscrewed the old one while the gas was still on and all I heard was gas rushing out while he screwed on the new one. No time to make it face the right direction when gas is streaming out. I'm surprised that he didn't light a cigarette at the same time. I'll get something to separate the two pipes. Thanks for the replies.
Nothing would have happened with the gas coming out, even if he was smoking a cigarette, while removing the old valve and screwing back on the new one.

It would have to be enough concentration in the room for anything to have happened, while the cigarette was lit.

As for the picture, really hard to tell anything from it, due to all I can tell is that the valve handle is correct, and there is nothing touching the black iron pipe. Really need a better picture, standing back farther showing what you are stating that it is touching.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
call me E

Gas valve

TBH- I can't count the number of valves/caps I removed and replaced the way the OP described.
As for the picture- I thought he was talking about the conduit on the right side but after looking again i assume he's addressing the one behind the flex nut.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #9

Gas valve

Here is a picture with an arrow showing the area in question. The silver looking vertical thing to the right is an unused piano hinge hanging off of a hook on the peg board. Sorry for the confusion.
Attached Thumbnails
Gas valve-gas-valve-2.jpg  
Old 02-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Gas valve

Just put either two 90's to bring away from that conduit, or if you are able to shorten the pipe somewhat, you could do it that way. Too many ways to do it to get away from the wall a bit. Or even if you can, just take that conduit and move it up some, and also adjust the black iron with the gas line, so it is not that close to the wall.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
Master Plumber

Gas valve

Should not touch, however electrolysis is not an issue in this case.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

Javiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #12

Gas valve

Quote:
The other day I pulled up to a gas pump and the guy in front of me was filling up a new corvette with a lit cigarette in his mouth. I said "Are you trying to commit suicide"? He said I didnt know what I was talking about, and that he has fueled cars a thousand times while smoking. I said yeah, but its that 1001 that gets you every time.

The point is that there are some crazy SOB's in this world, but it really isn't good to let them get too close to you. They usually end up killing someone else with their lack of care, not themselves, as they are one and all self- serving A-Holes.

The vibration of your dryer which will transmit and create wear between gas and electric conduits will eventually cause a disaster. I am sure that the guy that installed your dryer will cause a tragedy down the road somewhere, as he is thoughtless.
It seems like 95% of the people are STUPID
Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #13
DIY staff

Gas valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
It seems like 95% of the people are STUPID
90%--please don't exaggerate---------
Old 02-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #14
bbo

Gas valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
90%--please don't exaggerate---------
90% of statistics are made up on the spot.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bbo For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #15

Gas valve

Quote:
The vibration of your dryer which will transmit and create wear between gas and electric conduits will eventually cause a disaster.
How long do you think this would take? A week? A month? A year? Century? Millenium?

Probably longer?

rosem637 is offline   Reply With Quote