Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Share |

Gas supply to detatched garage

I have a trench open right now at 21" depth with rigid metal conduit carrying electric wires. I'd like to have NG heat in the garage in the future, so I'd like to be able to run SOMETHING...

I'm looking for options. Could I do some kind of plastic pipe as a conduit through which something flexible, be that CSST or PE, could be pulled at a later time? A black pipe run in a watertight run of PVC or whatever?

Yes I will be asking the inspector and if he can figure out what exactly I'd permit it as I'd get the permit too. Permits for my city have a checklist with fees per item, and the closest this would fit is gas piping, but it's not gas piping, so I'd like to ask if he could accept photos and just maybe inspect it off permit or something. AHJ isn't available until the end of the day tommorow afternon because he's part time, just looking to find out if my idea is completely wrong or if it can be done this way.

I am also aware PE pipe with steel risers is preferred, but I'm having a bit of a hard time with finding that... The gas company's web site says you can buy it from them, but on the phone they have no idea what their own web site is talking about. An HVAC company in my city thinks a variance is needed to run gas and electric to the garage even though I've already been told by AHJ that gas and electric in the same trench is okay.

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.

Last edited by WillK; 05-23-2011 at 01:28 PM.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
I ask the impossible!

Gas supply to detatched garage

Let me just be direct, can I assemble 3/4" black iron pipe inside 2" PVC pipe in my trench, which is 21" deep. The PVC conduit would go through to the inside wall of my house and the inside wall of the garage and I would use a reducer to the OD of the black iron and seal with caulk. Before enterring the building I'd tee off and have the PVC go up and over to vent with some sort of screen to keep bugs out (surely something like this exists, such as where air venting has to be provided for furnaces?) I'd bury gas warning tape 6" above the pipe. I'd assume a tracer isn't necessary since the black iron is metal and should be detected.

I'm also a big fan of shut-off valves, so one on each end just before going into the conduit.

I'd also assume that black iron shouldn't have the lightning issues CSST is said to have since it's thicker wall... With that said, as it's right by the 2 ground rods for the house service entrance and the 2 ground rods for the garage subpanel it'd be easy to just jumper right to a ground clamp on the nearest ground rod which in turn is connected to the respective building's electric ground system.

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.

Last edited by WillK; 05-23-2011 at 02:20 PM.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote