Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gas Plumbing - Outside or Crawl Space

Hi,

I am getting gas plumbing installed. One Plumber gave suggestion on doing it via crwl space while the other is doing outside ( connecting main gas line with the dryer hook up.

My question is which one is safer and reliable. Obviously, the one connecting from outsie is cheaper.

DSHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,266

I don't think either is safer than the other if using black iron pipe. If using a flexible product the crawl space may keep it out of harms way. I would go for the crawl space route just for the aesthetics.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,498

Safe and reliable tend to go hand in hand....

I'm in the middle of a 2-story addition to my house and asked myself the same questions....when you consider that at some point the gas lines have to enter you house somewhere....there is always the chance of gas getting into the house.

The most likely places for leaks are at the connections. When black pipe is done right....that connection is going to be tight for a long time.

So....lets look at your exact question...install inside the crawl space or outside?

Outside....easy for the plumber...he doesn't have to crawl under your house....but your pipe will be exposed to outside elements and there is a higher risk of damage.....

Crawlspace.....more work but the pipe is better protected. Which means less chance of damage which could cause a leak.

I'm taking a pipe threader home with me today....I have a bunch of gas pipe to run....I'll be teaching my 9 year old son a necessary skill this weekend....even if he never has to do it...he will know how to thread pipe....and know what NPT means.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote