Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #1

Share |

Gas Pipe

Is it ok to bury black gas pipe?

http://www.kitchenguidebook.com

skipstephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Licensed Master Plumber

Gas Pipe

Std. SCH 40 steel pipe can not be buried for gas service.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #3

Gas Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipstephenson

http://www.kitchenguidebook.com
No! Check with local codes. It will rust out and leak. What or why do you want to bury them. There are guide lines that need to be followed and inspected by local inspector please file permit for your protection.
Hixheat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #4

Gas Pipe

You want to do minor plumbing repairs ...fine

Please leave the Gas to the Professionals. This and Backflow are the two top reasons plumbers fail there Journeyman test. If you screw this up you put yourself and your family at risk... Hirer a Plumber it is well worth it
Docwhitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #5

Gas Pipe

Just answer the question screwball.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #6

Gas Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipstephenson View Post
NHMaster did, and DocWhitley gave you very practical advice. Gas isn't for anyone to mess with, some states absolutely won't let you touch it and that's for a reason
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:18 AM   #7

Gas Pipe

oh my
Old 12-11-2010, 12:19 AM   #8

Gas Pipe

Quote:

How about this I will answer his question which was "Is it ok to bury black gas pipe?"

It is perfectly ok to bury anything and everything that you would like to bury as long as you follow all of the local code and ordinances that trained professionals have been taught to follow. Depending on your location soil condition and what you are looking to use the gas for would dictate how this should be done. Some areas require the gas to be buried 6 inches some 24 to 36. I personally do not use the "Black Gas pipe" for several reasons.
1- With out the proper use of unions repairs can become more costly than replacement
2- I believe the more connections the more areas for Leaks

Now what would I do if I was this guy or an Homie Home owner... CALL A PROFESSIONAL... Why?

What size is the line you are connecting to?
How many appliances are on that Line?
What is the total BTU for those appliances?
What is the total BTU of the appliance you are running it to?
What is the total pressure for Gas in your area?
Will adding this appliance to the pipe you are planning to hook it up to going to starve other appliances that are hooked up to that line in turn voiding the warranties on those appliances?
Will your Home owner warranty cover any damage that could be caused if your repair is faulty or fails?

GAS IS A SERIOUS BUSINESS! It has its own certification for a reason. Things that can cause problems are as simple as using the wrong tape or dope on the pipe.... But then again if the OP lives next to you then ignore everything I just said and bury the pipe on his side of your house
Old 12-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #9

Gas Pipe

Just realized you were the original poster... Go ahead and bury it... Now think about what happens to Steel when water hits it... Hmmmm I think it ummm is called ummm Oxidation... And that Rust will eat a hole through the pipes.. Causing a gas leak... Have fun
Old 12-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #10

Gas Pipe

Thanks for a real answer Docwhitley. I have put gas pipe in many houses, not that big of deal. I ran into some burried black pipe in my friends house and thought that black pipe could not be burried. just wanted to ask the collective. Thanks for all yalls concern.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #11

Gas Pipe

As Doc is trying to say. If you had proper background your question would've never been asked. I've seen a lot of things, I even stayed in a Holiday Inn doesn't make me qualified to do anything I want to. There comes a time for a professional, you are there! Suck up your pride and accept it! The life you save may be yours dummy.
Work4living is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #12
Licensed Master Plumber

Gas Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work4living View Post
As Doc is trying to say. If you had proper background your question would've never been asked. I've seen a lot of things, I even stayed in a Holiday Inn doesn't make me qualified to do anything I want to. There comes a time for a professional, you are there! Suck up your pride and accept it! The life you save may be yours dummy.

Thank you for that post. I have said a hundred times that I will advise anybody on things that do not pose the possibility of death, injury and property damage. Nobody that is not certified or licensed to deal with gas piping, service or installation should even think about messing with gas.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #13

Gas Pipe

Quote:

In the State of Colorado, a license is required to work on gas piping.

I assume your book/blog/website will be read by many in other areas. This source http://www.contractors-license.org/ might be of interest to you. It might have kept you from making a rude comment. Contractor licesening is the result of people doing foolish things during construction.

I recall a fire run where the renter plumbed a propane tank into the natural gas line. The person had no idea of the danger of his actions.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #14
HVAC / Plumbing

Gas Pipe

Quote:

No but, green is ok . Scotchkote
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #15

Gas Pipe

Quote:
Hey Skip ain' t this fun when you post something ? It's like vultures sitting on a pole waiting for the animal to be killed so they can pounce on it to eat. DIY is more like DUH why did you even post that? Call a PRO. Find out what is suitable for underground gas and go for it. It's OK for people to ask questions about electrical and killing themselves, it's OK to ask questions about plumbing and killing them selves with sewer gas and scolding water, it's OK to ask question about heaters and blowing up the house with oil and gas but don't ask a question about a gas line which many of the aforementioned references have attached to them. WOW wait till you see me get ripped.

COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote