Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #1

Share |

gas line termination

I'm doing a kitchen remodel and my old layout had a countertop range on one side of the kitchen and the oven on the other side (opposite wall)- The new plan calls for one single combination range on just one wall. The other wall still has the existing gas pipe in it (oven disconnected)- Can I just cap the line off in the wall? What other options do I have?

skinut2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #2

gas line termination

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinut2234 View Post
I'm doing a kitchen remodel and my old layout had a countertop range on one side of the kitchen and the oven on the other side (opposite wall)- The new plan calls for one single combination range on just one wall. The other wall still has the existing gas pipe in it (oven disconnected)- Can I just cap the line off in the wall? What other options do I have?
can you remove the line from inside wall to below floor and cap it....or can you remove some of the pipe to cap at a location that is accessable....if not sounds like you have no choice cap it in wall...

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #3

gas line termination

thanks- I might be able to remove a few sections of the pipe and terminate it in the attic.....What is the best tool to use to disconnect these fittings? They are all original so I'm sure that will be fun!
skinut2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #4

gas line termination

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinut2234
thanks- I might be able to remove a few sections of the pipe and terminate it in the attic.....What is the best tool to use to disconnect these fittings? They are all original so I'm sure that will be fun!
Provided its black iron pipe and not copper, pipe wrenches would be appropriate. Make sure you turn the gas off beforehand. Get two pipe wrenches, one to turn and the other to back wrench the fitting (you don't want to loosen any other sections remaining, otherwise you'll have a leak). Start with the handles fairly close together for maximum force. You may need to get a large pipe wrench depending on what size pipe, pipe sealant type and how tight they were connected. I've had to go for the 4 footer a few times, but I generally get by with a 14" and 18". Of you have a lot of pipe to remove, you can use a hack saw to cut the pipe, then just wrench the last bit out. Don't forget to use gas approved pipe dope/ tape on the male end when you cap the pipe or plug the fitting, then leak test after turning the gas back on (turn the gas on slowly to prevent shock loading any regulators/valves). Good luck!
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hvac benny For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (09-24-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
JOATMON

gas line termination

I would just cap it off at the wall (not in the wall) and not worry about it.

If you ever sell the house, the new owner might be real glad for it to be there.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (09-24-2012)