Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #1

Share |

gas line supply

Maybe a dumb (real dumb) question, but I have a 3/4" gas line now. I need to upgrade that to 1", but the connection at the gas meter is 3/4". Can that be swapped out, or do you just put 3/4" stub and then adapt to 1"? Just wondering if you'll really be effectively using 1" pipe if you start with 3/4" (even if just a little piece).

autx790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #2

gas line supply

I'd ask the plumber who you are going to get to do this properly what he/she plans on doing that is correct. Don't try this yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:59 AM   #3

gas line supply

Hey thanks bob...very informative. That leads me to my next question...why does someone get involved in a DIY forum if they're idea of input is "hire someone".
Old 06-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

gas line supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by autx790 View Post
Hey thanks bob...very informative. That leads me to my next question...why does someone get involved in a DIY forum if they're idea of input is "hire someone".
Because there are things that you should be doing yourself, and other things that you shouldn't even attempt, that's why.

My guess (we don't have natural gas here) is that you'll have to call the gas company to upgrade the meter.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #5

gas line supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Because there are things that you should be doing yourself, and other things that you shouldn't even attempt, that's why.

My guess (we don't have natural gas here) is that you'll have to call the gas company to upgrade the meter.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #6

gas line supply

In a perfect world, true. But in my world, contractors dont give a rip about you or doing a job right. They just want to come in, over charge you, cut corners, and move on. not only from ones i've hired in the past, but also ones i've gone behind to fix the crap they got away with.

Running gas line is not rocket science, and if i'm going to pressure test and have it inspected, I'm a lot more comfortable with my own ability than someone else. I'm really just wondering to the logic of the science in running a 1" pipe that starts with one smaller. If i need to call the gas company that's what i'll do, but you come to a forum, hoping to get constructive advice to make sure you do something right. If you want to point me to the code i'll read that, but so far i haven't seen that kind of answer and dont expect i would.

Really, why even have forums if you're not going to be helpful. You can run people away from everything....Don't do your own plumbing cause if you have the slightest water leak, you'll attracked termites and bring your house down. Don't run your own electrical cause you could shock your self and die. Don't frame your own room cause if you don't propperly support it, you're house will fall in on you and you'll die. Don't try to insulate your self because if you don't account for moisture properly, you'll risk mold take over and die, not to mention termites, etc...

Last edited by autx790; 06-13-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #7

gas line supply

one its probably illegal, two will prob need larger meter, three your not listening so dont work on gas line , four go to Dr Lauras site
Old 06-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #8

gas line supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by autx790 View Post
But in my world, contractors dont give a rip about you or doing a job right. They just want to come in, over charge you, cut corners, and move on. not only from ones i've hired in the past, but also ones i've gone behind to fix the crap they got away with.
That's a pretty lousy world. I can't believe there's not a single contractor in your area that isn't competent and conscientious - that BS. On one hand, you're claiming we (licensed, professional contractors) are a bunch of incompetent crooks who don't care, overcharge etc. And on the other hand, you expect (demand, in fact) that we give you all the answers so you can go and blow yourself up along with any near-by neighbors. WHERE DO I SIGN-UP?!?!
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ishmael For This Useful Post:
tpolk (06-13-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #9

gas line supply

You're not listening either apparently. No one has given me any advice except for alan which was proceeded with "my guess". So really...how am in not listening? and your "you will prob". So it sounds like i'm not listening to a bunch of people who don't really have any good info to give.

One, it's not illegal where I am. Only regulation is for wiring your own home which you have to pass a test if you want to do that, which i've done. Plumbing is all yours as long as you have a permit, which i do.

Edit: I stand corrected. The inspector I talked to told me what I needed to do for the inspection but failed to tell me I was not allowed to do the work. And when I got my general permit, they said electrical was the only thing a home owner couldn't do without passing the electrical test. However, where I am...turns out you can NOT run your own gas. I found this out when the inspection office called me after I filed for my inspection. First quote I've got now is $800-1200 for someone to run the line for me :/ Seems a bit high to me considering it's a small job. Tpolk you were right below, thanks for pointing that out for those in the future.

Last edited by autx790; 06-22-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Update
Old 06-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #10

gas line supply

plumbing and gas are 2 diff items in inspections, have you checked that
Old 06-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #11

gas line supply

No Ishmael, I'm saying i've never hired someone that's done a satisfactory job, they've all cut corners and ripped me off. Even people who have come highly recommended. So sorry, i'm done hiring people to find out after the fact if they have integrity or not. I'm not saying there aren't any good contractors out there. But I'd expect the ones involved in forums have passion for what they do and want to help people, and not everyone on here has to be a professional to have wisdom. So I'd rather learn how to do something right, and do it myself, rather than pay someone to rip me off and then have to fix their work. Not to mention I really enjoy doing/learning this kind of work.

Yes polk. I have checked with the inspector and he just wants to see a pressure test on it when i'm done.

Last edited by autx790; 06-13-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #12

gas line supply

That being said, there are more people out there who are DIYers that don't have a clue what they're doing and are dangerous, so I can respect your natural inclination to try to run me off rather than help like my natural inclination is to do something myself rather than trust someone else. But it is frustrating when you want to do something your self (partly cause you dont trust contractors but mostly cause you enjoy it) and you want to do it right so you come to a forum for info and people want to treat you like your incompetent. Just because someone asks a question doesn't mean they don't know anything.

Now to my original question, I could just hook a reducing fitting to go from 1" to 3/4" and pass a pressure test and be good to go. However, I'm curious if there's a point to that because it starts with 3/4" so would I really be making full use of the 1" pipe? I just want to learn people!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #13

gas line supply

autix790: Back to my original answer I think. I understand the DIY credo but since it doesn't seem logical to just go from 3/4 to 1" with a fitting as the the port is 3/4" on the regulator you'll likely (again a guess) need a new meter. Thus, gas company and either they or a licensed pro would need to be involved.
I'm guessing you are in/near Austin, Tx; a bit from their site on inspections not required
from: http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/developme...ork_exempt.htm

Gas

1. Portable heating, cooking or clothes drying appliances.
  2. Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.
  3. Portable fuel cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid.
Question is, does this work being planned match 1, 2, or 3? I think 2 or 3 would need you to get a permit?

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #14

gas line supply

Well here's my thought to an answer. If my logic is wrong please explain.

Based on the table TABLE 402.4(2) from the 2009 IRC, If a 3/4" line can supply 360CFH at 10ft (which I'll only have about 2 inches) and a 1" line can do 284CFH at 50ft, the 284CFH will be my limitation. So running a 3/4" line into a 1" pipe, the most I could expect to get would be 360CFH (or probably a little more since I dont have 10 full feet of 3/4") but would start decreasing at about 30ft.

Bob, thank for the info. Sorry, i'm not in Texas, though I did live there for a bit a while back. Glad to be gone! I do have a permit, but still don't want to rely on the inspector to catch everything. I want to learn as much as I can.

Last edited by autx790; 06-13-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
Experienced

gas line supply

Add up your total btu load divide by 1000 (gas btu's/cf)

Now look at the plated or rating information on your meter, multiply the rating by .7 this is the usable CFH of the meter.

Can't find the information on the meter, call the gas company, they will have this information, again multiply the information by .7 (derating)

Is the load greater than the meter's capability? --Yes -- new meter required ---> call gas company----> pay $$$ and hope the incoming line is big enough.

Load less than meter's capability ---- No ----- increase pipe size.

Although not rocket science it is dangerous and most advise against doing it yourself.

Mark

plumber666 (06-14-2011)