Gas Line Size - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
gjr

Rewards Points: 10

gas line size

I would like to install a naturl gas generator Generac 5471 (10 kW) at approx 60 ft from the gas meter.Which size of pipe do I need and should i upgrade the gas meter( to which size) ?

Thank you for your help

Advertisement

gjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,408

gas line size

I can only speak of my generac generator that I had installed a couple years ago. The plumber used 3/4 inch black steel pipe with an indoor shutoff. He also recommended I call the gas company and tell them I have HW heater, boiler, back-up generator, and gas stove that may all possibly be running at the same time. Gas company came out and told me I needed to upgrade gas meter, which they did at no charge. They will tell you what size you need. I don't know your location, but in upstate ny we have National Grid. Everything runs great. How many appliances do you have using ng? You probably will need gas meter upgrade as well.

Advertisement

Last edited by jmon; 03-07-2013 at 06:39 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
gjr (03-08-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,760

gas line size

You also need to make sure you have an automatic way to disconnect your house off the electric grid. Otherwise you may fry some poor line man working on the wires.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
jmon (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

gas line size

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjr View Post
I would like to install a naturl gas generator Generac 5471 (10 kW) at approx 60 ft from the gas meter.Which size of pipe do I need and should i upgrade the gas meter( to which size) ?

Thank you for your help
Your local gas utility would be able to tell you, once they know all of the info. Best to contact them regarding this.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
jmon (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

gas line size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
You also need to make sure you have an automatic way to disconnect your house off the electric grid. Otherwise you may fry some poor line man working on the wires.
The Generac install comes with all of that.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
jmon (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
Retired Army Veteran

gas line size

GM, excellent point. The electrician, who did the wiring, also explain that same statement to me. By code, it has to be wired that way.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
gjr

Rewards Points: 10

gas line size

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
I can only speak of my generac generator that I had installed a couple years ago. The plumber used 3/4 inch black steel pipe with an indoor shutoff. He also recommended I call the gas company and tell them I have HW heater, boiler, back-up generator, and gas stove that may all possibly be running at the same time. Gas company came out and told me I needed to upgrade gas meter, which they did at no charge. They will tell you what size you need. I don't know your location, but in upstate ny we have National Grid. Everything runs great. How many appliances do you have using ng? You probably will need gas meter upgrade as well.
Thanks jmon
Location Long Island
Gas supplier National Grid
I have HW heater, boiler, range top(only) not oven,and gas fireplace
Piping adequate for above
National Grid does not want to come and recommend size of meter.
Says up to the plumber to decide.
Pipe to generator will run directly to Generator not added to the other piping
Do you know size of your meter : 250 or 400 ?

regards
Gilbert
gjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Retired Army Veteran

gas line size

yea, I'm in saratoga county. They may have changed procedures. I believe I had a 250, and they upgraded me to 400. I'm at work right now, I will check tonight let you know for sure. Check after 8pm.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 568

gas line size

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjr View Post

Thank you for your help
I called my gas utility today and they told me I had 250,000 btu capacity.
I am getting the 8kw that requires 140,000 btu. With my 80,000 btu furnace and 40,000 btu water heater I am a bit over, but don't expect to use it anywhere near full capacity.
(IIRC the 10kw is 155,000 btu)

My installer is using 1" pipe, but I am only 4' from the meter. I don't really know if your 60' would require more.
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
Retired Army Veteran

gas line size

gjr,
That's affirmative my gas meter says 400 on it. That'll give you 400,000 btu capacity which will be more than enough to run everything you got all at once. The reason they want a master plumber to confirm it, is that the 400 flow meter is a bit more expensive than the 250 flow. NG came out and upgraded me at no cost. Well, that's not entirely true, I do pay monthly utility rates which are outrages here. My deliver cost (just for having gas and electric delivered to my house) is double what I actually use. Oh well, that's a story for another time. Hope this helps.

Last edited by jmon; 03-08-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:05 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

gas line size

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon
Well, that's not entirely true, I do pay monthly utility rates which are outrages here. My deliver cost (just for having gas and electric delivered to my house) is double what I actually use. Oh well, that's a story for another time
would you rather the delivery charge was hidden in the gas bill?
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hvac benny For This Useful Post:
jmon (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
Retired Army Veteran

gas line size

Roger that hvac benny. At least they are up front about. People have to be paid and maintenance has to be done on lines, etc.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,784

gas line size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
I called my gas utility today and they told me I had 250,000 btu capacity.
I am getting the 8kw that requires 140,000 btu. With my 80,000 btu furnace and 40,000 btu water heater I am a bit over, but don't expect to use it anywhere near full capacity.
(IIRC the 10kw is 155,000 btu)

My installer is using 1" pipe, but I am only 4' from the meter. I don't really know if your 60' would require more.
When your HWH is on and your furnace starts to run, your gen will kick up, and you may notice it lagging.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 25

gas line size

To size gas pipe you need to know length of gas utilities from meter and buy rating for each one in order to size the pipe you need.

Advertisement

joes plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote