Gas Line Service - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 149
Rewards Points: 75

Gas line service

Is it customary to run rigid soldered 3/4" copper for gas supply and then "Tee" it and add valves and flex lines?
It is under the slab but looks to be in a conduit pipe for protection.
Thanks for any advice.


BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 558
Rewards Points: 500

Every state is different, but here's what the Massachusetts Gas Code says:

Piping Underground Beneath Buildings: (Section 6.1.6) - Where the installation of gas piping underground beneath buildings is unavoidable, the piping shall be encased in an approved conduit designed to withstand the superimposed loads. The conduit shall extend into a normally usable and accessible portion of the building and, at the point where the conduit terminates in the building, the space between the conduit and the gas piping shall be sealed to prevent the possible entrance of any gas leakage. Where the end sealing is of a type that will retain the full pressure of the pipe, the conduit shall be designed for the same pressure as the pipe. The conduit shall extend 4 inches outside the building, be vented above grade to the outside, and be installed so as to prevent the entrance of water and insects.

Clearly, they're saying the conduit and gas line should be brought up into a utility room ASAP after entering the building. From there, it can then be piped overhead - through the framing - to reach the various appliances.

There's also another section that says ANY underground gas piping shall be at least 18" below grade, which means encasing it in the concrete slab would fail inspection (here in MA). I'd be worried about expansion, contraction and settling of the slab causing leaks that won't be properly sealed off because of the tees underground.

In the "Materials" section, Type L or K copper tubing is allowed (with one proviso), but joints must be brazed, not soldered, with a material having a melting point in excess of 1,000*F. The brazing material shall not contain more than 0.05% phosphorous.

Black iron pipe is really the best way to go (inside the building/above grade); the fittings are approved for concealment behind drywall etc.. The stainless steel flexible tubing (eg - TracPipe or Gas-Tite) is also good, but each appliance would have to have a dedicated line with no branches or tees all the way back to a manifold where the gas first enters the building, and you also have to install strike plates anywhere it stands the possibility of being hit by a nail or screw (from drywall and baseboard trim etc etc.)

Like I said - every state is different, but that's how we do it here.


Last edited by Ishmael; 05-03-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Condensate Line schott HVAC 17 06-02-2008 03:16 PM
How can I determine service amperage? dawho1 Electrical 13 04-07-2008 10:10 AM
Hot Water Recirculating Line jdupre Plumbing 9 01-06-2008 07:49 AM
200 amp panel with a 100 amp service? alexz Electrical 10 07-29-2007 10:00 PM
Suspected open/loose service neutral mrtomwj Electrical 5 09-28-2006 08:46 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1