Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Gas Line/Dryer

Hi folks, hope I am in the right spot with my issue. Also I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge and terminology in this department as I do not all that much about plumbing/gas lines.

I need to move my gas line going to my dryer to complete a crawl space project that I am in the midst of. However in doing so I am a few inches short now. Of course my fittings for my older dryer are not standard and I am having a very difficult time finding

A. a longer gas line in the same size
B. couplers or connectors that would allow me to extend the gas line making it longer.

Attached are some photo's of my current scenario. One of my biggest frustrations is knowing the size of my gas line, the nipple size, etc... I am almost certain now after many painful trips to HD and trial & error that the nipple size extending down from my gas line and on the back of my dryer is 1/2". Does anyone know if they may these lines say in 5' length? My current length is 4'. Thanks in advance for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Gas Line/Dryer-copy-dscn2964.jpg   Gas Line/Dryer-copy-dscn2958.jpg  

cbaur88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #2

Gas Line/Dryer

Just curious, is that gas valve in the crawl space?

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #3

Gas Line/Dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaur88 View Post
Hi folks, hope I am in the right spot with my issue. Also I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge and terminology in this department as I do not all that much about plumbing/gas lines.

I need to move my gas line going to my dryer to complete a crawl space project that I am in the midst of. However in doing so I am a few inches short now. Of course my fittings for my older dryer are not standard and I am having a very difficult time finding

A. a longer gas line in the same size
B. couplers or connectors that would allow me to extend the gas line making it longer.

Attached are some photo's of my current scenario. One of my biggest frustrations is knowing the size of my gas line, the nipple size, etc... I am almost certain now after many painful trips to HD and trial & error that the nipple size extending down from my gas line and on the back of my dryer is 1/2". Does anyone know if they may these lines say in 5' length? My current length is 4'. Thanks in advance for your help!
Why are you using pipe dope on the fitting's they are flair and no need for this ??? When their ask them. If not take 2 and couple them?? All gas copper fitting's are flair. the only time to use pipe dope is on the black pipe male end and the other is flair no pipe dope their.
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #4

Gas Line/Dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Just curious, is that gas valve in the crawl space?
That is correct......
Old 01-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #5

Gas Line/Dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
Why are you using pipe dope on the fitting's they are flair and no need for this ??? When their ask them. If not take 2 and couple them?? All gas copper fitting's are flair. the only time to use pipe dope is on the black pipe male end and the other is flair no pipe dope their.
Better safe then sorry & can't hurt right?

I know this sounds dumb but it's confusing to me. So if my connectors or nipples were both 1/2 inch I would want a 1/2inch OD hose correct?

Last edited by cbaur88; 01-03-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #6

Gas Line/Dryer

Looks more like tape to me, not dope.
Big no no. reasons being if any of it's fakes off it's going to block the tiny oriface in the dryer.
Any gets on the sealing surface of the flare and it can not seal.
That shut off needed to be asseable, attached to the dryer or to the nipple where it comes out of the wall.
Never under the house.
It also looks like galv. pipe, it should have been all black iron.

Last edited by joecaption; 01-03-2012 at 09:39 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
MarginallyQualified

Gas Line/Dryer

Quote:
I need to move my gas line going to my dryer to complete a crawl space project that I am in the midst of. However in doing so I am a few inches short now.

A. a longer gas line in the same size <-- OKish
B. (pipe & fittings) that would allow me to extend the gas line <-- Much Better

One of my biggest frustrations...
Be still your heart.
The plumber you hire will take care of the immediate problem quickly.

They'll also do it better and with the extra brackets and supports and such
and proper valve location that you haven't asked about.

hth
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #8

Gas Line/Dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Looks more like tape to me, not dope.
Big no no. reasons being if any of it's fakes off it's going to block the tiny oriface in the dryer.
Any gets on the sealing surface of the flare and it can not seal.
That shut off needed to be asseable, attached to the dryer or to the nipple where it comes out of the wall.
Never under the house.
It also looks like galv. pipe, it should have been all black iron.
It's for sure dope I put it there. Lesson learned will never do again with a flare fitting. I love talking to knowledgeable people about stuff I don't know much about I learn something all the time, thank you!

Sounding more and more like a rig job. I know we all bash the previous owner of our homes but I have found some things that even an average DIYer's hair stands up. He was notorious for rigging things I could go on and on and make a few of you chuckle but trying to stay on track.

This particular situation the flexible gas line was coming through the crawl space door via a notch in the wood door. I have a friend of the family who's a plumber who can possible help. I just hate bugging him as he helps us out when needed and he's got a little 1yr old. Wanted to try and tackle myself but nothing I mean nothing is ever easy when doing home repair.

Attached is a little bit better pic of the shut off.
Attached Images

Last edited by cbaur88; 01-03-2012 at 10:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cbaur88 For This Useful Post:
del schisler (01-04-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #9

Gas Line/Dryer

What he may do is get rid of 1/2 of those fittings. With every joint there's more chances for leaks.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #10

Gas Line/Dryer

he should get rid of all the old piping ...brass flex...no no....old lever gas valve no no.....repipe with ball valve..and stainless steel flex... not allowed bushings either..get rid of them also..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
cbaur88 (01-03-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #11

Gas Line/Dryer

I know this is probably impossible to do but can anyone tell what size those flares are. I had bought a 5/8 dryer line at HD but it was too big so I am thinking it's 1/2 but would love to be certain vs. 95% sure.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #12

Gas Line/Dryer

Couple things, did you see what Eplumber and Ben said?
Is that shutoff in the crawlspace ? if the answer is yes you need new piping to upstairs behind the dryer then a valve installed.

And it should all be replaced if it is galvanized with black pipe to the upstairs shutoff then short flex to the dryer connection. leak check, leak check,leak check.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #13

Gas Line/Dryer

Quote:
I know this is probably impossible to do but can anyone tell what size those flares are. I had bought a 5/8 dryer line at HD but it was too big so I am thinking it's 1/2 but would love to be certain vs. 95% sure.
I bet it is 3/4" not 1/2"
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #14

Gas Line/Dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
Couple things, did you see what Eplumber and Ben said?
Is that shutoff in the crawlspace ? if the answer is yes you need new piping to upstairs behind the dryer then a valve installed.

And it should all be replaced if it is galvanized with black pipe to the upstairs shutoff then short flex to the dryer connection. leak check, leak check,leak check.
Yes that shutoff for the dryer is in the crawl space which I am learning is a no no. The shut off is about 2 feet away behind the door of the crawl space. I plan on adding a shut off directly behind the dryer to bring it up to code. As for the rest of the piping yes I agree it all needs to be replaced with the proper piping which I plan on doing. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #15

Gas Line/Dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
I bet it is 3/4" not 1/2"
That's what I originally thought but I bought a 5/8" dryer line and it was too big for the flare fitting so that's why I am leaning toward 1/2". Unless I am missing something in that a 5/8" OD line fits differently. I am so dam confused at this point I can't keep it all straight. I am basically at the point where I am ripping it all out and bringing it to a plumbing supply and letting them tell me what the hec it is.