Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #1

Share |

gas line connecting to water heater

Photo show gas line connecting to water heater.

What material is this connecting gas line?

What is this green stuff at the joint into the base of water heater.

(Yes, I will request gas company to come out and check before turn on this gas line).
Attached Thumbnails
gas line connecting to water heater-waterheaer-7-2012-1-.jpg   gas line connecting to water heater-waterheaer-7-2012-3-.jpg  
young707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

The green stuff is pipe dope. The gold colored nut is just the attachment fitting of the flex line. Why, are you having problems with your service, that they shut you off for a leak somewhere in the house?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #3

the flex connector is stainless steel with brass connectors.....installed with pipe dope.....that connector to heater is wrong....no dirt leg
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

It is probably back a ways along that horizontal black iron on the left.

: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 07-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
It is probably back a ways along that horizontal black iron on the left.
wishful thinking...should be in front of valve to clean out and ck....what you think
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Depends on code. Some areas require that it is flex from the black iron to the appliance, with the drip leg back at the pipe a ways if required. That is just my .02.

You are second guessing that it isn't there, due to not seeing it in the pic, but for all we know, it is back at the end of that pipe, so I am not putting any more thought than should and leaving it as is.

Really, it is not our opinion to question why in posts like this, just state an opinion and let the OP decide if they are coming back for further questions, or making it a one post wonder.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (07-30-2012), TheEplumber (07-30-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #7

are you talking about the stain behind the connector? It is on the surface of the tank, not part of the connecting pipe.

The stain is not from the horizontal black steel pipe, nor from the stainless steel flexible pipe.

Remove and replace this 40 gallon 40000 BTU/hr gas water heater with 40 gallon 4500W electric water heater + timer. I was told electric water heater takes a long time to heat up, correct?

I need to remove this flexible pipe at the valve and cap this at the end of black steel pipe. The brass nut flat surface is 1 inch. What is this stainless steel pipe size and what size should I get the end cap?

Thank you.
young707 is offline   Reply With Quote