Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2008, 04:29 PM   #1

Share |

gas line coming in from street

how do i go about fixing the leaking gas line coming in from the street. they won't turn my gas on until it is fixed by licensed plumber, can i fix this myself? how much should it cost ?

drewhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #2

This sounds strange. We need more info. Is the gas leak on your side of the meter? Typically the meter is on the outside of the house (at least here it is) and not at the street. Any gasline on the service side of the meter should not be your responisbility, and anything on the customer side of the meter is yours to fix.

Why is your gas off? How was the leak discovered? Where exactly is the leak, or do you know?

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewhart View Post
how do i go about fixing the leaking gas line coming in from the street. they won't turn my gas on until it is fixed by licensed plumber, can i fix this myself? how much should it cost ?

I suggest you contact a licensed plumber. The license number should be in any advertising, on the work truck, on business cards, on any estimates. Verify licensure, insurance, bond, worker's comp. Your local building department should be able to tell you how to verify his license. When the building departmetn tells you the company/individuale is licensed, don't belive them. ( I just upset all the inspectors) I see many contractors who are not licensed or insured. Ask for references. A ligitimate contractor will be glad to give references. Then ask for names of those he has worked for that do not like him. Get at least 3 estimates, take the cheapest bid and immediatly put it in the garbage can. Do not hire the cheapest person. If you hire the cheapest person, you get what you deserve.

And yes, I am licensed and am not the cheapest contractor.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewhart View Post
The problem is that this is not just a danger to you; you might be putting your neighbors and your neighborhood children at risk.

Don't fix it yourself. The worst outcome for any DIY project is for the DIYer to be on the evening news.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote