Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #1

Share |

Gas Leak Exposure

Hello everyone.

The shutoff valve for the gas in my kitchen is located inside one of my base cabinets. Just recently I opened that cabinet and smelled gas. Turns out, after doing a soap suds test i do have a small leak. This is being fixed this week.

My worries, though....are that this leak may have been present since I renovated my kitchen 3 years ago. As I never go in that cabinet, I never smelled the gas leak.

I have googled the effects of exposure to gas and i don't have any symptoms...i.e. nausea and headaches.

however, i DO have 2 cats and I have kept their food/water bowls in front of this cabinet since my kitchen was completed.

Has this gas leak possibly caused any kind of health problems for my pets? I am literally sick over this

thanks in advance

Millie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Gas Leak Exposure

Natural gas is methane, with an odorant to make the gas noticeable, as pure methane is colorless and odorless. I recommend you discuss this issue with a doctor, as this is a DIY forum, and is unlikely to have trained medical professionals with knowledge about the effects of long term, low dose methane exposure.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote