Gas Enough To Go Around - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 20
Default

gas enough to go around


I was just kidding about sawing pipe, thanks for telling me to hire a professional, but i think this is diy forum you don't seem to know what diy stands for, i am quite capable of screwing pipe together, don't make it seem like a hard thing just because you do it professionlly, this is all my fault everytine i try to reach out for help , i run into people like you with bid heads

Advertisement

mowpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #17
Plumber
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 128
Rewards Points: 75
Default

gas enough to go around


I was just looking out for your health a safety.
Like I said, if your going to screw some gas pipe together, just make sure you do it right.
Without the proper permits, if something awful happens ( like blowing up your house ) , you are likely to find that your home owners insurance Is NOT going to cover Illegal work.
Just Saying, do what ever you fell comfortable with.
DidIDoThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
Plumber/Contractor
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 7,259
Rewards Points: 2,604
Default

gas enough to go around


Quote:
Originally Posted by mowpar View Post
I was just kidding about sawing pipe, thanks for telling me to hire a professional, but i think this is diy forum you don't seem to know what diy stands for, i am quite capable of screwing pipe together, don't make it seem like a hard thing just because you do it professionlly, this is all my fault everytine i try to reach out for help , i run into people like you with bid heads
We see all kinds of people here mowpar- some competent, some not.
Topics such as gas piping are approached cautiously for that reason.

I suggest you search online for a gas sizing table to get your proper sizing.
Of course, you'll need to know the total load, branch line loads and the length for these lines.

It would also be wise to get the proper permit and inspections as your homeowners insurance or futur buyers may be effected.
Also, some area just flat out don't allow home owners to do gas piping
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 20
Default

gas enough to go around


Quote:
Originally Posted by DidIDoThat View Post
I was just looking out for your health a safety.
Like I said, if your going to screw some gas pipe together, just make sure you do it right.
Without the proper permits, if something awful happens ( like blowing up your house ) , you are likely to find that your home owners insurance Is NOT going to cover Illegal work.
Just Saying, do what ever you fell comfortable with.
In statement above "just make sure you do it right"

This is the reason I asked questions on this forum. I will go to another help forum, maybe there I will get the help I need.


Good by , and thanks
mowpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,580
Rewards Points: 1,704
Default

gas enough to go around


Quote:
Originally Posted by mowpar View Post
I know how steel pipe is measured, did you want me to saw the line in half to make sure,
It's really very Obvious what size gas lines are.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,611
Rewards Points: 2,130
Default

gas enough to go around


National Fuel & Gas Code 5.4.2.2 says "The total connected hourly load shall be used as the basis for piping sizing assuming all appliances are operating at full capacity simultaneously."

Remember that each fitting whether it be a tee, 90 elbow, 45 elbow has an equivalent length of pipe measurement. Reference the NFGC for table B.3.2 which gives equivalent lengths of pipe for a fitting.

Also Table 6.2(a) gives the capacity in cubic feet for certain diamter pipes at certain lengths. One cubic foot of natural gass is equal to about 1027 BTUs
Attached Thumbnails
gas enough to go around-close-up-cap-cubic-feet-gas-per-hour.jpg   gas enough to go around-table-20b_3_2.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 163
Rewards Points: 158
Default

gas enough to go around


Quote:
Originally Posted by mowpar View Post
you don't seem to know what diy stands for, i am quite capable of screwing pipe together, don't make it seem like a hard thing just because you do it professionlly
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowpar View Post
line feed is 1 inch 3/8 outside dia.
Good luck brother. Make sure those connections are leak free.
collegetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,611
Rewards Points: 2,130
Default

gas enough to go around


Quote:
Originally Posted by mowpar View Post
Pipe service to house is 1 inch, and you suggest to run this same size to a 30 inch range????
I have seen a lot of things in construction but never a one inch gas pipe for a range, how old did you say you were?
The larger pipe run fairly close to stove then reduce down from there. I dont see where anyone suggested to run 1" into the stove. This is for a residence as you stated in post #1.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,611
Rewards Points: 2,130
Default

gas enough to go around


I added a gas line for my outdoor grill. Ran 1" to a point about 4 feet from the outside wall then used a 1 x 1 x 1/2 tee to reduce down before exiting the rim joist.
Attached Thumbnails
gas enough to go around-11111111.jpg   gas enough to go around-8close-up-grill-shut-off.jpg   gas enough to go around-10-far-out-shutoff.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 163
Rewards Points: 158
Default

gas enough to go around


Quote:
Originally Posted by mowpar View Post
this is my argument for not having to check this ,,, am i wrong???? I live in the city with city gas line , i am quite sure that i would not have the only house that would have this many gas hook ups, others have this many and maybe more.
Your argument is other homes in the neighborhood have that many gas hook ups so you dont need to check it. So what if that means other houses in the neighborhood are undersized for their gas consuming appliances? What would you conclude from that?

Advertisement

collegetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts