Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #1

Share |

Gas dryer vented into window well

A friend of mine just purchased her first home and had it inspected before closing (nothing noted regarding this issue).

I went to hook up gas dryer for her and noticed the vent is going out the only window in basement which is below grade, so there is small well built around it. On top of window well, there is a plastic cover with a bunch of small holes in it. You can see from pic below there is a buildup of lint in this window well from previous owner. Is a setup like this safe and should have the inspector caught it?

There is a covered porch built on home (not original to house) attached to wall this window well is on so the dryer exhaust effectively is vented directly into covered porch, this is what concerns me the most (besides the fire hazard).

stevekem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:06 AM   #2

Good catch, this is definitely not to code. Your friend should hire a licensed gas fitter to fix this problem and assess the rest of the gas system. I wouldn't be surprised if the gas lines were undersized or there were other venting issues based on this.

As for whether the inspector should have caught this: home inspectors, unless certified, are not qualified to assess gas appliances/piping/venting. In many areas doing so is against the law, as is working on gas without a license and permit. Here it's punishable by 6 months in jail and/or a $100,000 fine.

Every inspection I've had done, the home inspector has always stated that I should have any gas appliances inspected by a professional, and their contracts have stated that it is beyond their scope, as are other things such as plumbing and electrical. They'll point out the obvious, or whatever they may know/suspect is wrong, but they are NOT experts.

hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:46 AM   #3

We had the vent through the window in our place too when we bought it. No well or deck to contend with but come on! Through the window? One of the first things I corrected.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #4

The should have been run out the rim joint, not through a window.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #5

The inspector was "ASHI certified" and did gas leaking testing on some lines in house, so I am not sure why he didn't flag this. He even marked the dryer venting as "acceptable" in report. Should I call him out on this missed defect?

So can I run a new vent along ceiling in basement, through attached garage to exterior? The run would be about 30' with (3) 90's in it? This seems to long to me, but I'm not sure on how to calculate for maximum run distances.
stevekem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #6

That's way to long.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekem View Post
...The run would be about 30' with (3) 90's in it? This seems to long to me, but I'm not sure on how to calculate for maximum run distances...

Here's a link that may help, http://www.appliance411.ca/faq/dryer-vent-length.shtml.

Look up your friends make/model for manufacturers specs.

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote