DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Gas dryer - installing flexible gas line

36K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  bob22 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a gas dryer and a kink in the copper gas line.
Installed around 1990, the copper runs from the main line connection all the way to the elbow just a few inches from the dryer.
The line runs across my unfinished basement ceiling and then down the wall behind the dryer.
There is a fairly deep kink in the copper tubing just above the elbow.
The gas shut-off is located where it connects to the main line (near my furnace).

I would like to insert a flexible gas line to the dryer, which would allow me to pull the dryer out from the wall without having it tugging on the copper tubing like it does now. I see that there are some flexible gas line kits available at Home Depot.

I live in MN and I'm not sure what code would be for flexible gas lines to a dryer. I read somewhere that the shutoff needs to be within 6' of the appliance? Is that true in most states?

Assuming the flexible gas line is about 6' or so, I'm thinking that I would just cut the copper about 5' up the wall and behind the dryer. Then, I would need to flare the end of the copper pipe. Does that seem about right?

Should I install another shut-off valve where the flexible line meets the copper? That would result in one near the dryer and then another shut-off at the other end of the copper where it meets up with the main line into the home.

Any other thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Thanks for everyone's input.

In the end, I kept the soft copper line in place and added 48" flexible gas line to the dryer. Here in Minnesota, soft copper is extremely common, although I will likely convert to black pipe if I ever finish the basement.

After cutting, deburring and flaring the copper pipe end, I added a new gas shutoff valve behind the dryer and within easy reach about 3' from the floor. I used a Brasscraft Safety+Plus advantage kit, which has a 48" line and an excess flow safety valve. I was able to screw the flexible line directly into the existing elbow on the back of the dryer.

I triple checked every single connection with a liberal amount of gas leak detection fluid and everything is sealed tight. Even checked all the other existing gas fittings/connections throughout the basement.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.