Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #1

Share |

Gas Co. Gas Line Problem ?

Hello, my homes gas meter is in my basement. Had the gas company come and check my meter as there was a small leak in the elbow going to the meter. Gas man started to put on a new elbow. I mentioned we were not going to be using the gas this year as we where switching to all electric. Right then he changed his tune and said the line wasn't getting enough pressure and he was going to have to have the gas turned off till we have a new line put in and meter put outside. Mean he had the new elbow on and it was just about fixed. He shut the gas off outside and red tagged it. This all about the gas company wanting folks to put there meters outside at our expense. I have never had a problem with the meter inside the basement. Plus it is not a law to have it outside.
question .. Should I call them back and have somebody else come and check the pressure in the line? Or get a local plumber to do it? I don't miss the gas at all. But in case I want to sell the house in the future.. Would like to have the gas connected to the house.. Thanks for any thoughts on this.. Ken PGH Pa.
knn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:16 PM   #2

Call the gas company and ask if they contract residense work to plumbers.
I would suspect his behavior also. He may be an outside contracted plumber looking for more work.
In Philadelphia, the feed pipe size to a row dwelling is 1-1/4 ID pipe. Is yours the same size? Then this pipe is reduced down to 1/2 inch before it goes into an appliance. I think on new construction, meters must be located outside.
As for the pressure being to low, then that has nothing to do with you and is the gas companys fault if its true. When your house was built, the line and pressure was sized for a gas fired furnace, gas hot water heater and a gas dryer and gas range if at the time of construction, natural gas was in the building plans and not all electric and it was built after 1950. If your home is much older then this, then its possible the feed line is too small. Measure the feed line; it should be at least 1-1/4 ID and 1-3/8 OD.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:20 PM   #3

>Call the gas company and ask if they contract >residense work to plumbers. I would suspect his >behavior also. He may be an outside contracted >plumber looking for more work.

Thank you, I never thought of that. But the way he acted.. He did really feed me allot of bull with out testing anything. Being I was going to electric anyway. It didn't matter at the time. But now thinking about ever reselling the house. It would be good to have it in good order,
Yes the house is 60 years old, the pipe is 1 1/4. Think I well give the gas company a call.. To come out and retest the line. As I mention the gas leak was just a little in the tread of the elbow going into the meter. I used it like that for years with the furnace with never a problem for heat in the house. Thanks.. ken Ps.. But then if he is working for the gas company. Would it be better to pay for a local plummer to come and test the line for proof that the line is ok and then have the gas company come back out and set it up for future use. I know the line is ok, just not sure the best method on dealing with the gas company. Find it hard to believe the gas company would lie like this. By sending one of there people to mislead me. But then this day and age?

Last edited by knn123; 01-18-2008 at 09:22 PM.
knn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:38 AM   #4

The gas company is responsible for all repairs to the lines up to the meter. They will also do repairs after the meter if requested. I cannot say for sure if the gas company will bill you for lines up to the meter. A cousin told me that the water department had to replace the water lines in the street in front of his house and he got billed for that. So ask your neighbors as to who pays.

I don,t believe you need the line changed as long as you do not have more appliances mentioned before. I would call the gas company and explain your concerns. I also like to say that I think its criminal that the mechanic did not fully repair the line inside. Your original message indicates that it was not completed properly. What's to prevent someone from tampering with the outside shutoff or another mechanic turning it on without first checking the meter connections. You could be at work when he shows up to turn the gas back on.
I would call the gas company and ask for another mechanic and tell them the first mechanic did not fully repair the pipe. The gas company is also responsible to see that the pressure in the pipe is adequate.
Even if the mechanic turned off the gas at the meter, he should not have left the repair incompleted.

If you get no satisfaction, send a complaint to management.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:58 AM   #5

call the co. and speak with a supervisor. sounds like from your post.the guy was being a jerk.
and if people dont put him in check, he will keep doing what ever he feels like.
ranman469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

You need to contact your gas company to see who is responsible for what lines. In my experiance the gas company is very good about repairing any lines free of charge but that doesn't mean they can't charge you if they want to.
Why you would tell someone from the gas company preforming a free repair for you that you were dropping their service? Kind of like telling the Chevy dealer you are defiantly going to buy a Ford but could you have a test drive anyway.
As for him shutting your gas off and saying you need a new line call the gas company and ask about it.

Last edited by Marlin; 01-19-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjordan392 View Post
The gas company is responsible for all repairs to the lines up to the meter. They will also do repairs after the meter if requested. I cannot say for sure if the gas company will bill you for lines up to the meter. A cousin told me that the water department had to replace the water lines in the street in front of his house and he got billed for that. So ask your neighbors as to who pays.

I don,t believe you need the line changed as long as you do not have more appliances mentioned before. I would call the gas company and explain your concerns. I also like to say that I think its criminal that the mechanic did not fully repair the line inside. Your original message indicates that it was not completed properly. What's to prevent someone from tampering with the outside shutoff or another mechanic turning it on without first checking the meter connections. You could be at work when he shows up to turn the gas back on.
I would call the gas company and ask for another mechanic and tell them the first mechanic did not fully repair the pipe. The gas company is also responsible to see that the pressure in the pipe is adequate.
Even if the mechanic turned off the gas at the meter, he should not have left the repair incompleted.

If you get no satisfaction, send a complaint to management.
Not criminal at all. As I already said the homeowner may be responsible for the repair. It doesn't matter who owns what where anyone else but you live. It differs from town to town and company to company, sometimes the gas company will own everything, sometimes nothing, sometimes up to the meter, sometimes up to the stop.
The gas company will not turn that valve back on now as it's been flagged as being bad until everything is inspected and tested. If someone does turn the gas supply back on without the gas companies permission then that is literally criminal. You can face fines or jail time for turning it back on. This is because of the potential dangers of a system that has been flagged.
No one is ever going to accidentally turn that valve back on. It's either going to be the gas company doing it after an inspection or the homeowner doing it unlawfully.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote