Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Gas Boiler Problem

Water keeps coming out of the relief valve. I am not sure if the expansion tank or the pressure reducer valve is the problem. I reduce the pressure to 15 psi and close the incoming water valve. THe incoming water valve goes thru the pressure reducer valve. Overnight, water was still drippin gfrom the relief valve and the boiler pressure was a little over 30 psi. The boiler i s not on, only the pilot light. Is my problem the pressure reducer valve and/or the incoming water valve? If I replace the pressure reducer valve, how do I know if it is adjusted to the right pressure setting?

HChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Gas Boiler Problem

The easiest and cheapest thing to do first is just replace the relief valve...they can go bad and let water out when there is no temp or pressure problem.

If your boiler is leaking even when the water is cold...probably a leaky valve.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #3

Gas Boiler Problem

[tttttt?
Old 10-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #4

Gas Boiler Problem

the relief valve is fairly new. When you say it is a leaky valve, do you mean the incoming water value? and does it mean that the pressure reducer valve is shot because the water continues to build in the boiler
Old 10-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
Just call me Andrew

Gas Boiler Problem

I meant it was probably a leaky relief valve.As long as water is leaking from the boiler, the pressure reducer will continue to allow water in. The PRV reduces pressure, it does not stop water from entering the boiler.

My parents' water heater had a relief valve go bad and start leaking after a year...it can happen. Just bring your old one to the plumbing supply house and get a matching one.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 20

Gas Boiler Problem

If the boiler isn't running, but your system pressure is 30psi, then my guess is it's the pressure reducing valve (aka - "fast-fill"). You can shut off one of the manual isolation valves (there should be one on either side of the fast-fill), and let off some of the pressure by opening a drain on the system (let it drop to about 15psi). Leave that valve in the "off"/closed position, and turn up one of your thermostats all the way to make sure the boiler will kick on and come up to temperature. If the expansion tank if good, the pressure will only climb a little - maybe 5lbs or so; if the expansion tank is waterlogged, the pressure will quickly approach 30psi again as the temperature increases.

If the expansion tank tests OK, then shut off the thermostat(s) so that no zones are calling for heat, and then re-open that manual valve on the fast-fill. If the pressure climbs while the boiler is at rest, then you've just confirmed it's the pressure reducing valve.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ishmael For This Useful Post:
HChu (10-25-2010), secutanudu (10-22-2010)