DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Garden Unit Flooded Sewage Water- HELP!

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  plumberinlaw 
#1 · (Edited)
I hope you guys can help. I am in the Midwest and we had 7in of rain in about 3 hours... a months worth.

I have a 50% below grade Garden Apartment Rental and laundry room that had 7in of dirty water. It literally came up through the bath tub and toilet and overflowed. THe water was deep enough to flood the bottom of the kitchen cabinets. I also have several floor drains that it came up through also.

Here's the questions:

1. Hot Water Tank: Rheem..has the electronic Piezo starter. &" water there..Insulation got wet, it won't light. Will it dry out & light. Can I remove the inner cover to get air in there to dry it? ANy other suggestions.. IT is 6mo old.

2. Deoderize: What do I need to do?

3. Mold: I am having it dehumidified by a comercial remediation Co. They have sprayed it with an antimicrobial. What else? SInce it is a rental in an old victorian bldg it has both plasterboard and lathe/plaster.

4. The floor is Pergo: THrow-away I assume if it curls up? Since it might get water again what would be beter to put down there?

5. Kitchen cabinets The veneer is cracking on the bottom where is got wet. Can that be covered or does it need to be replaced?

6. ANyway to stop this from happening again ? I can't imagine an overhead sewer or anything else considering it comes up through the toilet and tub.. This is a rental and the rent is low.

Any suggestions you might have or other areas here I should post in
would be greaty appreciated.

Tx,

Tom:censored:

See less See more
#2 ·
To prevent it they make backflow preventers for sewer lines that won't allow sewage backups.

I can't imagine the mess, your insurance company should be leading the charge on this. They usually want to get in fast with experts who can dry it out fast to minimize damage. The key is to dry everything fast including insulation, subfloor, framing etc that is hidden behind walls, flooring, cabinets etc. Once dry it should be clear what needs replacement.

#5 ·
Ron is correct in that a backflow preventer is installed just outside the foundation.

That would be the simplest way to prevent this from happening again. Would require excavation, but well worth it in the long run. Additionally, have the line video inspected. If major problems are found, consider repair or replacement of broken and/or damaged clay or Orangeburg piping.

Most insurance companies cover the cost of restoration and typically exclude repair/replacement, but sometimes will cover the cost of excavation just not parts.

Parts are cheap. If you know how, or have a buddy that knows how to run a backhoe that's your best bet. You can "DIY" and probably save thousands.

As far as anti-microbial, fans, extracting water, etc. I don't believe I would trust any of that to raw sewage. Too many diseases and nasty bacteria. Remember, there's still no cure for AIDS. Just saying. If it were mine, I'd replace everything that got wet. Cheap rent or not, you sure don't want to expose anyone to potential dangers. I couldn't find the answer exactly, was having problems with their website, but I believe according to the IICRC; anything exposed to sewer water should be disposed of. http://www.certifiedcleaners.org/default.shtml.

#6 ·
Call insurance adjustor or Public Adjuster immediately, take lots of pictures, after the adjusters have been there hire a demo company or do it yourself .. Complete rip out of everything I mean everything.

Make sure you wear safety equipment, IE masks, suits, respirators.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.