Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #1

Share |

garbage disposal under double sink

I am installing a GD under our sink for the first time. Here are some questions that have crossed my mind. Thanks in advance

1. What brand of disposer?
I've heard good things about the Waste King brand, specifically the Legend 8000 1 HP model. There are cheaper Insinkerator models at Home Depot but my understanding is that their Badger line is low-end. Any other opinions?

2. How big of a disposer can my sink handle?
My sink is a Kohler and manufactured around 2008. It's already installed so I cannot easily measure how thick it is. Is there a rule of thumb for judging how big of a disposer a sink can handle?

3. Really safe for septic?
The disposer I mentioned above is "safe for septic". But I have heard that it is not a good idea to have one with a septic system. I plan on pumping it every year and using Rid-X treatments. Should we be OK?

4. Plumbing
I attached pictures of the existing plumbing. After doing some research, I found that I would need to remove the existing trap, flange and curved pipe from the right hand drain, as well as the horizontal pipe leaving the P-trap from the left hand drain. Mount the GD in the sink and connect its wastepipe to a now-shortened horizontal pipe and curved pipe sections. I may need to shift the T-section of pipe downward since the GD's waste line is comes out then down, instead of straight out. I also need to wire in a GFCI outlet. Does that all sound accurate at an oversimplified level? Since there was no pre-existing GD that used its dishwasher connection, do I need to use it on this new disposer?
Attached Thumbnails
garbage disposal under double sink-img_4356.jpg   garbage disposal under double sink-img_4357.jpg  

debiasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by debiasio View Post
1. What brand of disposer?
I've heard good things about the Waste King brand, specifically the Legend 8000 1 HP model. There are cheaper Insinkerator models at Home Depot but my understanding is that their Badger line is low-end. Any other opinions?
While I cannot comment on Waste King, I can tell you that I have an Insinkerator and it seems to work well. I am satisfied with it.

Quote:
2. How big of a disposer can my sink handle?
My sink is a Kohler and manufactured around 2008. It's already installed so I cannot easily measure how thick it is. Is there a rule of thumb for judging how big of a disposer a sink can handle?
I have never considered the possibility that certain disposals could be too large or powerful for certain sinks. Perhaps we will learn together.

Quote:
3. Really safe for septic?
The disposer I mentioned above is "safe for septic". But I have heard that it is not a good idea to have one with a septic system. I plan on pumping it every year and using Rid-X treatments. Should we be OK?
I am on septic (aeration system) which is pumped annually. We occasionally have the filter become clogged, but I cannot say if there is any relationship to the disposal. Mostly, we have no problems.

Quote:
4. Plumbing
I attached pictures of the existing plumbing. After doing some research, I found that I would need to remove the existing trap, flange and curved pipe from the right hand drain, as well as the horizontal pipe leaving the P-trap from the left hand drain. Mount the GD in the sink and connect its wastepipe to a now-shortened horizontal pipe and curved pipe sections. I may need to shift the T-section of pipe downward since the GD's waste line is comes out then down, instead of straight out. I also need to wire in a GFCI outlet. Does that all sound accurate at an oversimplified level? Since there was no pre-existing GD that used its dishwasher connection, do I need to use it on this new disposer?
I would plan to simply replace the plumbing parts. I have never had much luck trying to re-use much plumbing, and I end up making several trips for parts I find that I need. In general, however, I think you have it correct.

One thing you did not mention was the dishwasher waste pipe. Disposals have a fitting to accept the waste pipe and it may be a good idea to route this through it for additional grinding. While many (but not all) dishwashers have a grinder, there may be benefit in further grinding of dishwasher waste. Of course, this would necessitate a new straight tube from your left sink.

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #3

You'll have to get the new bottom of the sink (basin??) fitting for a Disposal. Then a short pie comes out straight but it's like 1 and 1/4" or undersized I should say. So you need to get the adapter that changes that size to PVC 1.5".

The other issue is it lowers things. Your tailpipe only looks about 3"s long so you may have to do a loop -dee- loop to gain some height. As long as the ultimate drain is lower, your all set. Sometimes I move the dishwasher drain to the other size but it may be 3/4 or 1" so check it out!

Just overbuy stuff and return what you don't need (kept in the package if possible).

I just did this in a "manufactured home" and it was a PITA but it can be done if you have the parts, PVC glue and cleaner and some patience (which I have little of )

Good luck, let us know!!

Last edited by Steve Thomas; 07-14-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Steve Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote