Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #1

Share |

garbage disposal on septic

I wanted to know some thoughts on putting a garbage disposal on a septic system. I have one on there now. It doesn't work and appears to be in the 20+ year old range. I have been in the home for a year. We have two tanks. One is from the bathrooms. The other is from the washer, and possibly the kitchen, but I have not opened up the clean-out and checked for that. I have been told its ok..and not to do it. Which is right?

Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #2

We've had two homes with disposals on septic. We may be more careful what we grind up than most people are, but we've never had any issues.

Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #3

have many customers out here in pa with disposals on septic systems no problems ..... guess it your choice....opinions vary....
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:40 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
opinions vary....
Ayuh,... 'n in My opinion, nothing that ain't already gone through a human body, should be dumped into a septic tank....
Quote:
We have two tanks. One is from the bathrooms. The other is from the washer, and possibly the kitchen,
My guess is, the OP has a septic tank for the toilet, 'n a dry well for the washer...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (11-15-2011), plumber666 (11-16-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 06:40 AM   #5
DIY staff

Check local code---they are not allowed here---
DangerMouse (11-15-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 06:47 AM   #6

THe only consequence of using a sink garbage disposal with a septic system is that you may need to pump out the tank more often.

What you put down a garbage disposal contains more content that does not fully decompose into liquid and which therefore stays behind in the septic tank as sludge.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-15-2011 at 06:51 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #7

If the disposal is on the tank now and you say it is 20+ years old, evidently it does not and has not caused any problem or it would not have been on there for 20 years.

I personally would not put on on a septic tank but dispose of your kitchen waste with your garbage collector. I have one but I am on sewer and the things that go down my disposal such as egg shells would never break down in a septic tank (I don't think).

Tom
TGMcCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMcCallie
If the disposal is on the tank now and you say it is 20+ years old, evidently it does not and has not caused any problem or it would not have been on there for 20 years.

I personally would not put on on a septic tank but dispose of your kitchen waste with your garbage collector. I have one but I am on sewer and the things that go down my disposal such as egg shells would never break down in a septic tank (I don't think).

Tom
I have never tried throwing egg shells in a disposer..that's a new one for me.

Incidentally, the tank was pumped out last week, it was full of grease. So I guess im asking for trouble.

How much expense, and headache is involved in hooking up to the city sewer? If I have to drop 5k on putting in the line, and then pay $40 a month to use it, ill just put in a larger tank.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #9

Don't know about your area. Check with the water utility there for cost. Here it costs about 750.00 for what they call the tap. That is the connection from the main sewer line in the road to where you will connect your sewer line. Digging the ditch and the cost of the sewer pipe and having it done or you can do it yourself. Should not cost you no where near 5,000.00.

Get some estimates from people who do this and you will get idea what the cost will be and then you can see how it is done, then do it yourself. It is a pretty good job though because the piping has to have just the right amount of fall to it in order to drain properly.

Best I remember it cost me around 1200.00 plus the 750.00 to the utility company for the sewer tap. Here our sewer bill is 100% of your water bill. That is why I had a seperate meter put in for my sprinkler system and to fill the pool. The cost of the seperate meter was around 800.00 but in the summer my sprinkler runs 60.00 to 80.00 so if it was on the regular meter that would be 120.00 to 160.00. I am sure I have already saved the cost of the meter since I have had the irrigation system about 6 years.

Tom
TGMcCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Plumb or Die!

Disposal bad! Bad bad! Never mind the tank, that's cool, but it will ruin the dispersal field and that's huge money to replace. Fields handle digested waste very well. The chunks of carrot and egg shells that float to the top of the tank and head to the field will clog it up eventually. That's why they're not allowed on septic systems in most areas.
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMcCallie View Post
Don't know about your area. Check with the water utility there for cost. Here it costs about 750.00 for what they call the tap. That is the connection from the main sewer line in the road to where you will connect your sewer line. Digging the ditch and the cost of the sewer pipe and having it done or you can do it yourself. Should not cost you no where near 5,000.00.

Get some estimates from people who do this and you will get idea what the cost will be and then you can see how it is done, then do it yourself. It is a pretty good job though because the piping has to have just the right amount of fall to it in order to drain properly.

Best I remember it cost me around 1200.00 plus the 750.00 to the utility company for the sewer tap. Here our sewer bill is 100% of your water bill. That is why I had a seperate meter put in for my sprinkler system and to fill the pool. The cost of the seperate meter was around 800.00 but in the summer my sprinkler runs 60.00 to 80.00 so if it was on the regular meter that would be 120.00 to 160.00. I am sure I have already saved the cost of the meter since I have had the irrigation system about 6 years.

Tom
So what your saying is , call a professional company in, draw as much info out of them as you can, waste their valuable time, then Do it yourself ?

That STINKS !!!

People like you are the reason a lot of company's have stopped offering free estimates.
AlbacoreShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AlbacoreShuffle For This Useful Post:
plumber666 (11-16-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... 'n in My opinion, nothing that ain't already gone through a human body, should be dumped into a septic tank....

My opinion also, but I do hate eating used toilet paper.

polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote