Garbage Disposal Help - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garbage Disposal help

Hello everyone, I've got three questions this morning. I'm sure the terminology isn't going to be correct so I have pictures I can post if my description isn't clear enough.

The old garbage disposal cracked at the discharge tube and began to leak, so I purchased a replacement. The replacement model is a 1hp Wasteking with the EZ mount system. I got it mounted (without being hooked up to the dishwasher line or the discharge tube, so it is just hanging there) and the unit can be rotated and wiggled. The old mounting system had three screws that attached to a mounting plate and was really secure. Maybe because it's not hooked up to the lines, but I'm used to seeing loose things leak. I checked the schematic in the instruction manual and I did it correct. Any thoughts?

The previous unit was hardwired. There is a hole in the back of the cabinet that had the wire sticking out. I thought the wire led to a plug and outlet behind the dishwasher, but it just goes back into the wall somewhere. The old line is too short to attach to the new unit, so my I think my options are to either attach that wire to an outlet and install that outlet in a junction box, or put a female end on the wire and plug the new unit's power cord into the end. Is one preferable to the other? Putting the female end onto the wire is going to be a lot easier but a junction box and outlet will look better.

Now, the main question involved actually plumbing the line. It's a single sink with a dishwasher next to it. I know dishwasher hose fits onto the hose barb on the disposal unit. Now I need to go from the disposal discharge tube to a 1.5" drain line that has a 90" threaded female pvc end on it with the washer that screws onto the other end of the p-trap to hold it together. I could unscrew and detach the one end of the p-trap connected to the discharge tube, but the discharge tube of the old unit was glued into the top of the other end of the p-trap so I had to cut it, so part of the discharge tube was lodged into end of the trap, so I'll have to get a new one. I've had varying success with plumbing bathroom sinks...so I want this to go as smoothly as possible. What pieces do I need to go from the disposer discharge tube to the threaded female drain line? Does it need to be glued?

Advertisement

malt0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,482

Garbage Disposal help

I can handle the electrical.
Do not put a plug on the end of the cable. Mount a junction box to the cabinet back and either hard wire into the junction box or install a receptacle to plug in the GD if it comes with a cord.

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

Garbage Disposal help

You will need a new P-trap---A picture of the set up would help---

I have only install a couple of 'Waste King'---not a popular brand around here---Insinkerator ifs the one top brand around here---
Old 06-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,620

Garbage Disposal help

I'm not understanding your terminology and I've been around a lot of sinks
A picture would be good.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #5

Garbage Disposal help

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You will need a new P-trap---A picture of the set up would help---

I have only install a couple of 'Waste King'---not a popular brand around here---Insinkerator ifs the one top brand around here---
The insinkerator is what I'm replacing! After reading some reviews on the same model I had apparently the discharge port cracking is a pretty common problem.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #6

Garbage Disposal help

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
I can handle the electrical.
Do not put a plug on the end of the cable. Mount a junction box to the cabinet back and either hard wire into the junction box or install a receptacle to plug in the GD if it comes with a cord.
I've got a junction box and outlet. Can you tell me how an outlet is different than an end? Is it a safety issue?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

Garbage Disposal help

Yes--safety and code---post a picture if you can---
Old 06-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,482

Garbage Disposal help

I assume you have NM(romex) cable coming out of the wall. Cord ends are not designed or permitted to be installed on NM cable. NM cable needs to terminate in a junction box.

Advertisement