Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
Ron

Share |

Garbage Disposal on a "Grey-Water" line?

I live in a rural area and have a septic line and a seperate "grey-water" line. Of course, my kitchen is on the grey-water line. I would like to install a garbage disposal, but have been told not to. Any thoughts on this?
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

A garbage disposal puts a lot of solids out, and isn't recommended for any septic system. It definitely should not be put on a grey water line.
You're just asking for septic clogging problems.
Good luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
Contractor

Ron, have you considered a compost bin? You can recycle vegetable waste back into your property. Meat, grease and oils should never go into any septic system including municipal.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
Ron

Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear the first time. The "grey-water" line is seperate from the septic line and never enters the septic tank or field. The grey-water just runs out into a field ajoining my property. That's why I thought it would be safe to run a garbage disposal on the line.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
Long-Time DIYer

Discharging "grey water" - or anything else outside of a single or separate septic system - onto the surface or into a drainage ditch, etc. is illegal in most places. (Check with your local Health Department, which is the usual permitting agency, for verification.)
If you get caught with an illegal waste water discharge, or ever try to sell your property and it's inspected then, you'll probably have to correct it.
Your call.
Good luck!
Mike
Old 02-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #6
Ron

Thanks for the info. Mike. I didn't know that about grey-water lines. Nobody mentioned it, when we bought the house in '93 and now I'm afraid to mention it. In fact the owner showed us where the line came out and said how much better it was that the grey water didn't go into the septic, etc.. I guess you live and learn. Thanks again
Old 02-05-2006, 10:39 PM   #7
Long-Time DIYer

A properly designed and built septic system should be able to handle all grey water and all else just fine.
We've been on a septic system since 1977, and I have the tank pumped every 5 years as the state recommends. All of our home waste water goes into it, and we've never had any problems. If you do, you usually can correct it by just adding another drainfield line.
We don't have a disposal, though. We either put it out for the birds, neighborhood dog friends, or overboard for the fish and turtles, depending upon what it is (never any bones or grease though...that all goes in the trash).
Good luck!
Mike
Old 02-05-2006, 11:21 PM   #8
Contractor

Mike, got catfish? I have some funny stories.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #9
Long-Time DIYer

I don't care WHAT the rich people say about cavier, salmon, sturgeon,etc., there aint NOTHING better than FRIED CATFISH FILETS!
Trotline and fry 'em up in a skillet over a fire, Miracle Whip, bread, pickles, and a few beers, give me a hammock and I'm a happy goner. LOL.